EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-09-11, 12:21 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Honda will be making hybrid snowblowers

Yup, you read right, hybrid snowblower. Sounds like either a commercial type machine or super luxury machine. I'm not sure what to think about this, but they're making them...

Quote:
The all-new Honda HS1336i boasts superior control/ease-of-use; powerful operation/snow throwing; reliable operation; and enhanced technology.
Honda gears up to electrify winter with hybrid snowblower

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	webhondahs1336ihybridsnowblower.jpg
Views:	1485
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1847  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 09:13 AM   #2
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

okay, that is hilarious!
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 12:42 PM   #3
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Maybe it's more efficient or cheaper to have a small gas generator charging a battery and then an electric engine powering machine instead of a large gas engine directly connected?

I've often though cars with electric motors that are powered by a generator should be more efficient since the generator could be tuned to run in the perfect RPM range and a small battery bank could be used to carry things through when the generator falls a little bit short.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 12:53 PM   #4
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

The torque from the electric motors driving the treads must come in handy too. Still. Seems like a bit of overkill. I have to confess my first thought was that maybe this was a joke ...
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 06:20 PM   #5
Angmaar

Why not just make an electric snow blower with a battery warmer?
Old 11-10-11, 08:16 PM   #6
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I'm assuming the battery/weight ratio just isn't good enough to go pure electric.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 08:33 AM   #7
Daox
Administrator

For those with shorter driveways apparently there are commercially sold corded snowblowers. If I had a short driveway I'd probably go that route.

I also know local guy here who just did a conversion on a gas blower to corded AC snowblower last year. He says it works great and the quiet is so much nicer than having a gas engine running.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-11, 03:52 AM   #8
launboy
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
The torque from the electric motors driving the treads must come in handy too. Still. Seems like a bit of overkill. I have to confess my first thought was that maybe this was a joke ...
You hit the nail on the head. Honda uses the hybrid electric system because of it's superiority over traditional disc and platter systems. Electric motors provide high torque at any RPM from extremely slow creep to full walking speed. Believe me sometimes that slow creep is the exact speed you need to power through deep heavy snow. It's these speeds where disc and platter drivetrains fall short. When the disc gets very close to the center of the platter(slower speeds) it doesn't have as much grip as it does toward the outside(higher speeds).

It may be overkill, but that machine is built for a niche market where a ton os snow is the norm, primarily Canada and parts of Japan, where features like electric track drive and power chute control are worth the price. It's a whooole nother world.

Adam

launboy is offline   Reply With Quote