EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Wind Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-12, 09:32 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default DIY wind turbine info

Just figured I'd start a thread to compile some info on how to make your own wind tubines.

This site is one of the best sites I've found on DIY wind turbine construction. They cover nearly everything. The only downside I've found is their turbines are made with a bit more machinery than the average joe has.

Welcome to OTHERPOWER.COM

This is a video of a VERY basic setup which is missing quite a few components (charge controller, brake mechanism). But, it gives a good quick outline of what is needed.

How to build a Wind Turbine with PVC Windmill Blades - Video Dailymotion

Here is one very similar to the above with lots more info and a better description of a tower and charging system.

How I home-built an electricity producing Wind turbine

Post your own links to sites and wind turbine info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 04-27-12 at 09:40 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 12:44 PM   #2
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

No matter what the design or if it's home built or mass produced a lot of people still over look the most important rule, the electricity is coming from the energy in the wind, the faster the wind speed the more energy is there to extract, thus the saying "more tower for more power" if your turbine is not up in the air then there isn't enough energy to extract and you should view the top of your roof the same as you would being a few feet off the ground in an open field, you need to be no less then 50 feet above anything and everything within 500 feet.

I've hung out with the guys from Other Power and they are great, they build awesome machines that work really well and they know their stuff, they also teach classes.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-13, 11:32 PM   #3
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

From the 2nd link 2nd video of him assembling the mast -

I really like how used the pipe with the fitting on the bottom for the power wire to exit.
That little unit he has in the video would be perfect for a hunting cabin or beach cabin.. Just having power for a radio & a couple 12v lights would be luxury..

Last edited by ecomodded; 02-24-13 at 01:36 AM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 05:20 AM   #4
donniepaxton
Lurking Renovator

The most helpful forum ever. The concepts are innovative and fresh ideas. I might submit my ideas soon. Making own wind turbines is beyond good. Let's start experimenting.
Old 03-02-13, 08:51 PM   #5
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default DIY Wind turbine

I had been casually looking at these for years. My close friend in the past was a partner in a group that was looking at the feasability of wind turbines. He presented me with a study conducted by an engineering group. The stack of papers were 4" thick. The consenses seemed they were not in favour of wind turbine technologies of the day. The partnership group never went any further.
Oddly of late there are so many installations of large wind turbines. Seams they became viable.
I had made a couple of small turbines that in the wind they did make electricity. Although the amount was small approx. 20watts and the one quickly made sample fell apart the first day. The wind is unfriendly it gusts, it swings, drops to nothing and then can blow like crazy. The wind turbine needs to be built extremly durable.

From time to time I had looked into the site otherpower and these guys have some success. Their method of the low speed axial flux alternator is the answer for the DIYer. Everything can be homemade and a good probibility of success be made.

At home during the cold Canadian winter the sound of the wind whistling during the night is accompanied with the purr of the Geo-thermal Heat-pump. My question, could a wind turbine power the heat-pump. That cold wind thats chilling your home could be the answer to heat it as well.

Some of the electronics (inverters and controllers) have become alot better and affordable. For me there were some mechanical things that made me question the machine but after some thought I'm thinking of trying some ideas again.

The photos are a coil winder for the Hugh Piggott/ otherpower alternator and my fence post wind turbine.

Randen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coilwinder.jpg
Views:	3268
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	3048   Click image for larger version

Name:	windturbine.jpg
Views:	3363
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	3049  
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 04:27 PM   #6
Drake
DIY Guy

Could inverters/controllers be shared for cogeneration from wind and PV?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-13, 08:36 AM   #7
Daox
Administrator

They probably can be, but I wouldn't recommend it. Whatever is putting out a higher voltage will have dominance over the other component and you'll only be getting the generation of one or the other even if both are producing power. It would be best to hook them up seperately.

&
Old 04-01-13, 07:10 AM   #8
razor02097
Helper EcoRenovator

I have seen a few instructables for wind turbines but I haven't really had the resources to build one yet. Thank you for the links.
razor02097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-13, 08:25 AM   #9
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

The thing will building turbines is you can buy a motor on ebay that is listed as 'for wind turbine' only to find out that its a DC motor, but needs to be spun at 3000 rpm to make 12 volts. Most horizontal axis wind turbines work in the 300-900rpm range, and the bigger the blades, the slower they spin, but the more power they could capture from swept area. Treadmill motors work well for 12 volt systems, as they normally run at 240 volts dc at 3000 rpm. Scale that down - so, 3000rpm divided by 240 volts and you have 12.5rpm per volt. Realistically there are parasitic losses, heat, friction, etc, so to charge 12 volts, you need to spin maybe 20% faster than you calculate. 12.5 rpm multiplied by 12 volts plus 20% is 180rpm. Which isn't too shabby for a cut-in (charging) speed. A set of 3 gutter blades, approx 2 feet long would work well.
nexsuperne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 12:25 PM   #10
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, you need to know what you're doing... just like anything else DIY. That is what this site is here for!

&