Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-08, 12:57 PM   #1
Higgy
The Gardener

Default Garage Issues

Hey there,

I've been having mold (or what I think is mold) form on my garage wall base since I've moved into it 4 years ago. The house is only 5 or 6 years old. I've just washed it with cleaning solution and sealed it with cement sealer, but it's still molding. I was going to acid wash it, but I've never done it before and I just wasn't feeling adventurous enough to try, and of course no one I know has ever done it. Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what's happening (it's the white powdery stuff close to the floor):

Before I sealed it, it was eating at the cement and every time I would clean it off, chunks of cement would come off as well. I'm not sure if that will still happen now that I've sealed it, but you never know. It almost seems as if the air and moisture coming up out of the junction between the floor and wall is what's causing it, but I'm not sure if I should seal that up with some type of caulking or if it's suppose to be left open. The other thing I'm thinking is if I should be putting some kind of ventilation or de-humidifier into the garage or not.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to spend the money for some cement guy to come in and fix it or whatever if it's something that I can do.

Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote