EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search
 


Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-14, 12:30 PM   #241
where2
DIY Geek
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 397
Thanks: 68
Thanked 83 Times in 73 Posts
Default

Teslas are all over the place in South Florida. Sitting at lunch last week outside a local chain sub shop, two Tesla service techs showed up to grab some lunch... (Before anyone asks, they weren't driving a vehicle in for service...)

Keep collecting the sunshine. I just passed 4MWh over the weekend with my little 4.4kW system. (Started collecting 8/2013)

where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 09:25 PM   #242
pinballlooking
Super Moderator
 
pinballlooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 2,755
Thanks: 160
Thanked 527 Times in 432 Posts
Default

Today was very sunny. We hit in the nineties for one day solar production! 92.3 KWH
We are officially in the nineties.
We have produced 957KWH so far this month.
We are excited to get in the nineties.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AprilDay.JPG
Views:	631
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	4283  

Last edited by Daox; 04-17-14 at 08:58 AM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 09:57 PM   #243
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 241
Thanks: 1
Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Nice. I'd love to have a system that would put out around 1500Kwh per month. That would more than break even for us year round. Summer is a bear here we have twice the cooling degree days than you do. (one big reason for wanting to move there)

Been thinking about starting off with a small system on the shop roof or on the ground near by. A system just to run the well pump would be nice but pricey.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 09:30 AM   #244
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator
 
Vern2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 145
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Smile

PinBall,

Way cool! Here's what I got for the last year with the 9.2k system.



TED Home Pro is sending out another MTU to add solar. I'll be able to have my kWh numbers all on one screen. With the Spyder, break out, cloth dryer, hot water, shop (2 ton heat pump, welders, Air compressor, plasma, spot welder) as one number, Volt charge and house 5 ton heat pump.
__________________
Vern
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 09:44 AM   #245
pinballlooking
Super Moderator
 
pinballlooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 2,755
Thanks: 160
Thanked 527 Times in 432 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern2 View Post
PinBall,

Way cool! Here's what I got for the last year with the 9.2k system.



TED Home Pro is sending out another MTU to add solar. I'll be able to have my kWh numbers all on one screen. With the Spyder, break out, cloth dryer, hot water, shop (2 ton heat pump, welders, Air compressor, plasma, spot welder) as one number, Volt charge and house 5 ton heat pump.
That is such a sweet graph. You have great sun in AZ. You would never get those numbers here.
How many MW did you end up with?

Did you replace your old TED or did you always have the Pro?
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 10:44 AM   #246
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator
 
Vern2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 145
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Smile

PinBall,

The old TED 5000 CT's got removed from power panel by solar installer. I didn't say anything, I was going to remove it myself, stupid installer. I ordered TED home pro, order got mixed up and they missed one MTU. It's all in boxes waiting for the last MTU. Nothing from TED 5000 can be reused.

Then the salesman ordered wrong inverter. Inverter companies do not supported each others monitoring system. TED Home Pro will put monitoring back together, all on one display, in office (spare bedroom) on desk (table). I bought Linksys 5 port switch, I'll have 5 links connected, when TED plugs into it. It's nice to have a home network, (wired and Free Wi-Fi zone). IPads, free cell phone calling, desktop computers, laptops, Smart TV's, Wi-Fi Blu-ray, WiFi laser printer all works together, most of the time. The big thing is when COX changes my IP address, to stop me from setting up server for running web site here at home, they want more money. There's also a Gateway running on desk.

When I was with AT&T I got an unused IP address, setting up a computer in closet, so techs could download three software tools I wrote. I sell the tools now.

I ended up with 11.7k. I want the numbers all on one display, so at a glance I can check things out. Nothing on the ground.
__________________
Vern
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vern2; 04-17-14 at 10:53 AM..
Vern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 10:57 AM   #247
pinballlooking
Super Moderator
 
pinballlooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 2,755
Thanks: 160
Thanked 527 Times in 432 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern2 View Post
PinBall,

The old TED 5000 CT's got removed from power panel by solar installer. I didn't say anything, I was going to remove it myself, stupid installer. I ordered TED home pro, order got mixed up and they missed one MTU. It's all in boxes waiting for the last MTU. Nothing from TED 5000 can be reused.

Then the salesman ordered wrong inverter. Inverter companies do not supported each others monitoring system. TED Home Pro will put monitoring back together, all on one display, in office (spare bedroom) on desk (table). I bought Linksys 5 port switch, I'll have 5 links connected, when TED plugs into it. It's nice to have a home network, (wired and Free Wi-Fi zone). IPads, free cell phone calling, desktop computers, laptops, Smart TV's, Wi-Fi Blu-ray, WiFi laser printer all works together, most of the time. The big thing is when COX changes my IP address, to stop me from setting up server for running web site here at home, they want more money. There's also a Gateway running on desk.

When I was with AT&T I got an unused IP address, setting up a computer in closet, so techs could download three software tools I wrote. I sell the tools now.

I ended up with 11.7k. I want the numbers all on one display, so at a glance I can check things out. Nothing on the ground.
What are you going to do with your old TED MTU’s if they are compatible with mine? I might be interested in them. It would be cool to monitor the new Mini Splits.

So your new solar is all installed now?

I just looked at the new TED very cool product. How many CT's do you have.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 04-17-14 at 03:00 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 11:11 PM   #248
where2
DIY Geek
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 397
Thanks: 68
Thanked 83 Times in 73 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcam84 View Post
Been thinking about starting off with a small system on the shop roof or on the ground near by. A system just to run the well pump would be nice but pricey.
Just do it. (says the guy who designed, permitted, and installed his own 4.4kW PV system). Best evidence I can find on the web, I've got 3999 cooling degree days per year where I live. The 4.4kW array shades more than 40% of my roof.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-14, 11:23 PM   #249
pinballlooking
Super Moderator
 
pinballlooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 2,755
Thanks: 160
Thanked 527 Times in 432 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
I've got 3999 cooling degree days per year where I live. The 4.4kW array shades more than 40% of my roof.
Shading your roof nice side effect. It is almost like a roof over.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-14, 09:27 AM   #250
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 241
Thanks: 1
Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2 View Post
Just do it. (says the guy who designed, permitted, and installed his own 4.4kW PV system). Best evidence I can find on the web, I've got 3999 cooling degree days per year where I live. The 4.4kW array shades more than 40% of my roof.

It is on the list towards the top just after finishing the house remodel. Only prob is plans have changed in the last year or so and LOML wants to relocate to the charlotte area. Which is fine with me as it's pretty it rains there the roads are all perfect even in the middle of nowhere and the cooling degree days are half what they are here. I have a weatherstation and last year our cooling degree days were around 3500 the 2012 was even hotter but I didn't have the station at that point. weeks of 110*/85* are common now. Cooling is one thing but the issue here is it's hot all night. 12am and it's still in the mid 90s.

I was planning on putting about 5K on the shop roof as it's south facing and almost the correct angle. Insulated steel building and the shade of the panels would be a huge help in reducing cooling load. Too many trees around the house to put them on the house.
I have a 200 amp panel in the shop and going to replace the panel in the house soon. I have a year old 200 amp panel for it. Customer wanted a different brand panel so it's a freebie.

If I were to do any solar here I'd probably do say a 1K system for the time being and then take it with us when we move. It's doubtful we would get enough more for the house with it.
I have been looking more at panels etc lately and I see some new micro inverters and a different style of single inverter systems.

I used to do commercial refrigeration now I'm an electrician... We do commercial 99.9% of the time ie we have several new moes and wendys to do this year. I'm looking at suppliers etc. I'm thinking we can do our house as a sample so I wouldn't be footing the whole bill and we can use it to show customers an end result. Always possible.
Right now I'm trying to get caught up again on what's out there and what works best etc.

Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Ad Management by RedTyger
Inactive Reminders By Icora Web Design