EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-19, 08:53 AM   #81
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

The unveiling of the Tesla pick-up will be on Wednesday.

And yes Ford during that same week are unveiling a Mustang inspired SUV. at the LA Auto show. And these concepts are never put into production as we all know!!!!

VW is about to update their Tenn. plant to produce their ID. variant of electric vehicle platform.

Rivian has been taking orders for their R1T pick-up to start deliveries late 2020. I for one really like this truck. If I place an order for this truck I believe I will see it late 2020. But the big three NOTHING. Tesla as well it won't be long after after the unveiling they will be taking orders and a truly stunning truck can be had in short time.

We've enjoyed driving on electrons now for more than 3 yrs. My resurrected S-10 EV and Tesla have been an absolute pleasure. In this time Tesla has brought 2 more variants to the market the Model 3 and Model Y I've seen sooo many Model 3s it truly inspiring.

The lack of action from the whole automotive manufacturer list is disheartening. Just lip service "we are spending billions"

Randen

randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-19, 09:33 AM   #82
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

This Ford Mustang SUV
https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/2021/

R1T pick-up looks sweet... but the cost is over my budget.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 11-18-19 at 12:55 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-19, 06:42 PM   #83
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Tesla unveils the truck. Elon was true to his word. The truck was absurd but the price and specs were amazing. I’m starting to warm up to the aesthetics. Thinking about making a deposit

I understand the Ford Mustang EV is going to production. But there is some limitations!!( oh really). The dealers have to be certified. WTF

We have now the Tesla Cybertruck and Rivian are ready to order

Randen
The Following User Says Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (12-03-19)
Old 11-23-19, 09:00 PM   #84
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

The specs on the Cybertruck look great and the price for a 500 mile range vehicle with access to a supercharger is amazing. I'm imagining the disappointment when someone hitches up a 2 or 3 ton travel trailer and finds out the range loss primarily due to aerodynamics. Their advertisement of 14,000 pounds will get people towing heavy loads with it. Might not be an issue if towing a trailer to move a heavy load a reasonable distance, but for a vacation I could see the complaints from folks who weren't informed.

My biggest concern about this design is crash safety. The rest of the Tesla's starting with the Model S have had excellent crumple zones, NHTSA and IIHS ratings, and crash statistics. This vehicle has a strong monocoque body made with stainless steel. I'm trying to imagine how this will crumple and what NHTSA and IIHS ratings and opinions will look like. Hopefully Tesla has completed crash modeling already and this is a non issue, but I think this could be the biggest downfall and a significant risk that nobody is talking about.

I think I'd personally be gunning for the same 500 mile range in a hatchback package(perhaps a 500 mile range Model Y), but these are personal preferences and I can't justify any EV right now anyway because anything cheap enough to make sense to me can't supercharge and I drive cross country often. Anything that can supercharge doesn't work out on paper economically compared to my existing car with the factors being much higher insurance costs, initial purchase price of even a used unit, low gasoline price and high MPG of current car, and bad reliability history of the Model S with the Model 3 being too new to get a solid litmus. If I were to get a brand new car and initial purchase price was a factor, I'd get a Toyota Prius Prime, covers most local driving trips without burning gas and my cross country trips are convenient.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-19, 09:53 AM   #85
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
Tesla unveils the truck. Elon was true to his word. The truck was absurd but the price and specs were amazing. I’m starting to warm up to the aesthetics. Thinking about making a deposit

I understand the Ford Mustang EV is going to production. But there is some limitations!!( oh really). The dealers have to be certified. WTF

We have now the Tesla Cybertruck and Rivian are ready to order

Randen
This truck is interesting but I am not warmed up to the looks yet.
What version would you get?

200,000 Other people liked it and ordered it.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 08:14 PM   #86
u3b3rg33k
Apprentice EcoRenovator

body on frame trucks look the way they do because they kinda have to. this is interesting. Cd should be much better than an F150/1500.

If you offered me one of the range toppers in trade for my car I'd probably say yes.
u3b3rg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 10:52 PM   #87
oil pan 4
Land owner

There's going to be a lot of angry people when they figure out that 120v charging isn't going to be enough to feed one of those things the way and distance the average person drives.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-19, 11:52 PM   #88
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
There's going to be a lot of angry people when they figure out that 120v charging isn't going to be enough to feed one of those things the way and distance the average person drives.
Do you mean 240v charging, are you talking about the F150 EV?
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 02:18 PM   #89
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Charging on 120 volt receptical is not a huge drawback. There are people functioning on that. Its approx 4 miles per hour. As soon as you get home plug in and 14 hrs later you have 56 miles added.

We made a trip once out of the range of the superchargers. At the Hotel we just plugged into a 120 outlet for 16hrs and added enough range to what we currently had to get us nearly home. For sure to within 2 supercharge stations.

not a big issue

Randen
Old 12-07-19, 05:10 PM   #90
oil pan 4
Land owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
Do you mean 240v charging, are you talking about the F150 EV?
Any gigantic pickup or SUV.
They're only going to get around 2 miles per kwh, especially in the winter.
Then if you drive 40 miles that's 20kwh.
A lowly 12 amp 120v evse is going to take around 16 to 18 hours to recharge, depending on how inefficient the obc is.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote