EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Product Reviews
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-13, 07:23 PM   #11
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech View Post
The plastic tabs holding the top door on and the pigtail style wiring are a dead giveaway to Goodman
Half sizing my own furnace 88k to 44k made a HUGE improvement in comfort.
I've been considering swapping the orifice for my far right heat exchanger of my 75k Carrier 58GS to a plug to 2/3 size it. It would still meet my heat load. Almost considering dropping to 1/3 since the only flame sensor in the furnace is in the intermittent(spark ignition) pilot assembly and testing how a 19k heat output really affects things, at least until I hit the -5f balance point but I think it would still be comfortable until I hit -10f or maybe design load but I might not be too happy at -20f without more insulation. ..not sure I want to burn 288 watts in the blower for three times the normal duration though so it would just be a test. I don't think it would be safe to take out anything other than the far right burner though because the high limit is sandwiched between the two left burners.

MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 07:25 PM   #12
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Is the thermostat as small as it looks or is that deceiving? Is the label about the size of a credit card, how big is it?
I'm also curious about what the web interface looks like.
Could we get a screenshot perhaps?
Also does it do any energy logging? My current thermostat counts runtime.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 07:59 PM   #13
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

If you close off one of the burners, wouldn't the exhaust fan pull in more air through the remaining tubes and cause the mixture to go excessively lean?
Old 11-26-13, 08:41 PM   #14
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
If you close off one of the burners, wouldn't the exhaust fan pull in more air through the remaining tubes and cause the mixture to go excessively lean?
I don't think that model has an exhaust fan. If I remeber correctly it's an old school pilot light model.
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 08:44 PM   #15
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The high limit is in place to prevent the furnace from overheating. Lowering the BTU won't cause an issue with the limit tripping. Lowering input lowers efficiency to some extent because the heat exchanger becomes oversized realtive to BTU input.

I'd look for another furnace. Shop around and you might find a bargian.
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 08:04 AM   #16
Daox
Administrator

The thermostat is a little larger than my LUX thermostat. If I had to guess, its roughly 6" x 4", but I will get measurements and get back to you. The label is bigger than a credit card.

I will be posting pictures of the interface a bit later today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 11-27-13 at 11:11 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 08:58 AM   #17
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech View Post
The high limit is in place to prevent the furnace from overheating. Lowering the BTU won't cause an issue with the limit tripping. Lowering input lowers efficiency to some extent because the heat exchanger becomes oversized realtive to BTU input.

I'd look for another furnace. Shop around and you might find a bargian.
An oversized heat exchanger would be more efficient in steady state operation, but blanking off one of the burners will not give you an oversized heat exchanger since you'll only be using part of it. What would is downsizing the burner nozzles (or otherwise reducing the fuel flow) and then somehow adjusting the airflow to maintain the correct mixture. (I think you would then have to slow down the air handler to avoid condensation and corrosion, but I'm not sure.)
Old 11-27-13, 11:39 AM   #18
Daox
Administrator

Alright, here is the low down on the interface. Its pretty simple (which I like), and is therefore easy to use. I'll take you through the whole thing.

First up, you go to motison's site and click the "My CyberStat" link up top.

You get your basic login screen.

Once you login you're brought straight to the controls for your cyberstat. From here you can do lots of fun stuff like override the temperature temporarily, or permanently (aka hold feature), edit your programs, and change the heating mode. You can see there is a drop down at the top of the screen if you have multiple cyberstats, you can control them all, just switch to another one and change things.

Here are the selections available from the mode menu. Its fairly self explanatory.

And talking about programs, you can choose from a few different programs. They're labeled as shown, but you can use them for whatever you want really. The "manual" program makes the thermostat work like a non-programmable thermostat, set it and it stays until you change it. Also, the manual program must be used if you want to override your temperature permanently (aka hold feature), otherwise at the next programmed set point change it continues to follow the program that is active.

From the edit programs drop down, you can edit the 3 different programs. This is a wonderful and simple interface. You have the same display for each day. You simply click and drag the bars up/down for temperature, and right to left to adjust the time. It takes about 10-15 seconds to program a day. Also, if you click and drag the day buttons, you can copy one day to the next. You can finish programming a week in about a minute.

Going back to the main screen, this is what you get if you click the my account button. It should list all the cyberstats that are registered to your account.

If you click on the edit button, this is the screen that comes up. From here you can calibrate the temperature sensor, and setup email alerts for certain conditions.

That is really about it for the web interface. As I said its really simple and easy to use. The changes made take maybe 30 seconds or less to take effect from my short experience so far.

There is a little more to the device that I'll cover, and that is done at the initial setup. From there you can change your heating system type (1 or 2 stage heating, setpoint differential, etc). It would be nice if this was accessible from the internet interface, but its really stuff you won't be changing so I can see why its done there. I will get pictures of that later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motison.jpg
Views:	2021
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	3717   Click image for larger version

Name:	motison2.jpg
Views:	2035
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	3718   Click image for larger version

Name:	motison3.jpg
Views:	1984
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	3719   Click image for larger version

Name:	motison4.jpg
Views:	1898
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	3720   Click image for larger version

Name:	motison5.jpg
Views:	1924
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	3721  

Name:	motison6.jpg
Views:	1931
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	3722   Click image for larger version

Name:	motison7.jpg
Views:	1893
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	3723   Click image for larger version

Name:	motison8.jpg
Views:	1958
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	3724  

&

Last edited by Daox; 11-27-13 at 11:45 AM..
Old 11-27-13, 11:43 AM   #19
Daox
Administrator

Also, I do not believe this thermostat logs run time. There is no filter replacement reminder on it. I think that is a bit odd considering it would only be a few lines of code to add.

&
Old 11-27-13, 05:24 PM   #20
Daox
Administrator

Here are a few pictures to get the a perspective on the size. Looks like I was pretty close with my guess.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cyberstat1.JPG
Views:	1748
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	3725   Click image for larger version

Name:	cyberstsat2.JPG
Views:	1730
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	3726   Click image for larger version

Name:	cyberstat3.JPG
Views:	1725
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	3727  

&