EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Tools
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-14, 12:37 AM   #1
thenewblack
Lurking Renovator

Default Electric Floor Burnishing Machine

First I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong area. I thought the similarities between a e-mower would help out with my question.

I have a propane floor burnisher that is having some engine problems. I would like to convert it to electric power. Electric floor buffers are nothing new, but I thought it would be a fun project to use my old frame and build it myself.

Here are a few details on the machine. It currently uses a 17hp Kawasaki that spins a 28" pad about 1500 rpm. Some nights I use it as long as 3 hours. I also would need to keep the weight down somewhat. Stock it weighs around 240lbs. So minus the engine its probably in the neighborhood of 80lbs.

Basically I'm just wondering how difficult and expensive it would be to build. I looked up a major brand e-buffer and noticed that it uses a 2.5hp 2000RPM 36V DC motor. Along with three 12-volt 228 AH batteries. It claims 3 hours of run time. It weighs 270lbs. Some of that weight comes from having a built in charger, a drive motor, and extra panels for looks.

My idea is that once I removed my old propane engine, I would just mount the motor vertically in the same spot. I was going to post a pic of my buffer frame but I have yet to reach 5 posts. If you search for "Mean Machine 28" Buffer", mine looks like the one in the second image.

It seems simple, but I just need some experts to chime in. Price, weight, durability are my 3 main areas of concern.
If you read this, I thank you. And I thank anyone who has advice to give on it.

thenewblack is offline   Reply With Quote