EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-18, 08:01 PM   #1
sunspot
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default nest camera

There was a Great Gray Owl in the yard the other day which got me thinking (again) that I'd like to put a nesting platform up to hopefully attract a nesting pair of raptors. And if I'm going to climb a tree to do this (something I'm equipped to do) I might as well include a camera. But... while I don't mind climbing to put things in place I want no part of climbing to change batteries or memory cards. Thinking this has been done before and a solution would be easy to find I turned to google only to learn there's a home security camera with the name 'nest cam' which renders googling ineffective for someone actually interested in putting a camera in a bird's nest. So while my question is totally off topic y'all have proven a resourceful group with a wide range of knowledge and experience so I'm asking here: What is a typical nest camera setup with power and storage remotely accessible?

Thanks,

sunspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 10:55 PM   #2
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

There are plenty of outdoor IP cameras available. Just run a long wire to power it.
sunspot (02-01-18)
Old 02-01-18, 08:14 AM   #3
sunspot
Apprentice EcoRenovator

On further research, is there a solution that doesn't require a subscription, account, user fees, or wifi? I'm thinking more of a power cord and remote hard drive. I don't need live streaming.
Old 02-01-18, 09:44 AM   #4
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Search for Ethernet connected outdoor cameras. Most of those will support PoE as well. Then use a Raspberry Pi as your own server.
sunspot (02-02-18)
Old 01-07-19, 08:32 PM   #5
sunspot
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphWilkins View Post
Raspberry pi will be a good option for you. You can do a lot of customization with it too
Thanks Ralph. I've got a Pi running Naturebytes software now. It's in the house for testing and waiting patiently until I get the nest site prepped. Works great. I've yet to add the PIR sensor but that shouldn't pose a problem. I do have a question though. What about audio? Any ideas for adding that functionality to the nest cam?

Thanks,
Old 01-30-19, 09:15 PM   #6
sunspot
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The microwave proximity sensor arrived. Works without issue (lower right in photo). One step closer...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pi_cam_sm.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	8509  

Last edited by sunspot; 01-30-19 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: back assward
The Following User Says Thank You to sunspot For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-08-19)
Old 02-01-19, 08:59 PM   #7
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspot View Post
The microwave proximity sensor arrived. Works without issue (lower right in photo). One step closer...
Certainly, the photos from a 5MP Raspberry Pi camera aimed at a nest should be quite impressive!!

For those without such high skills in electronics and Linux, a Loosafe 1080P outdoor wifi camera (LS-C6) will probably exceed your expectations. I run mine with MicroSD cards for onboard storage which I can then download from my PC (on the same network). You can choose the frequency it snaps a still photo, and set recording hours for video. You can set them to push images to a FTP server, if you're computer savvy. I've chosen the ones with 8mm and 12mm lenses to limit my wide angle views, although I did purchase one with a zoom lens to allow me to choose which fixed focal length will work best in a particular install location. These cameras basically require 12V power, and wifi (or a wired ethernet connection). I use these cameras to snap the sunrise photos I miss taking every morning, because life doesn't always afford the chance to stop and watch the sunrise.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
sunspot (02-01-19)
Old 02-04-19, 09:31 PM   #8
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Another option that recently came out is the ESP32 camera.
https://hackaday.com/2019/02/02/cheap-esp32-webcam/

Daox (02-08-19)