EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-15, 02:03 PM   #1
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Default Reviving another free mower: Black and Decker corded LM110 (rectifier)

These things seem to find me like stray kitties:

This is an AC (corded) Black and Decker LM110 lawnmower that a neighbour rolled out to the curb a couple of weeks ago.

"What's wrong with it?"

"I dunno. It quit working half way through cutting the lawn."

They're ridiculously un-complicated. Even not knowing what was wrong, there are only a few possible culprits:

- switch (most likely culprit)
- wiring
- motor brushes
- rectifier/diode
- ??

Also, I already have one exactly like it, so I couldn't resist. It's light and has been dead reliable (except the metal where the wheels join the body is weak).

Specs:

Model: LM110 04/80 (probably date of manufacture)
Type: 2
7 Amps

Made right here in my small city, before the B&D plant closed down.

--------

First I took apart the handle/switch to test for current with a multimeter. The switch was fine; juice was getting through.

Next I took off the motor cover, and AHA! Here's our problem (bottom):

These are bridge rectifiers that convert AC electricity into DC that the motor needs. Top: replacement; Bottom: looks like something blew and the terminal burned up.

Rectifier part number (MP254 / V408) led me to eBay where I bought the silver replacement -- KBPC-2510 Bridge Rectifier 25A 1000V.

$1.88, shipped. Delivery from China took a couple of weeks.

Here it is installed:

I put everything back together, plugged it in ... and it whirred back to life! Another mower saved from the crusher!

Hopefully this new rectifier lasts 35 years like the first one.

It gets warm to the touch after just a few minutes -- I haven't cut the entire grass yet, but I have sharpened the blades and will try it out. Will report back!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mower.jpg
Views:	6963
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	5490   Click image for larger version

Name:	mower-placard.jpg
Views:	5079
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	5491   Click image for larger version

Name:	rectifiers-bottom.jpg
Views:	5610
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	5492   Click image for larger version

Name:	rectifiers-pn.jpg
Views:	5128
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	5493   Click image for larger version

Name:	rectifier-mounted.jpg
Views:	5268
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	5494  

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-24-15)
Old 06-24-15, 02:11 PM   #2
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Nice and you cant beat the price.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-15, 02:11 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Nice find... and nice save! I laughed when I heard the repair cost. That is awesome.

Are you going to keep it, give it away or sell it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-15, 02:38 PM   #4
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

It's a keeper!

I'm going to see if my dad wants it. He's got a much newer corded mower but it's quite a bit heavier than this. He might appreciate the lighter weight.

If he doesn't want it, it'll become my stunt double back-up mower and will hang inside the garage on the wall until needed.

Old 06-26-15, 10:12 AM   #5
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
It gets warm to the touch after just a few minutes -- I haven't cut the entire grass yet, but I have sharpened the blades and will try it out. Will report back!
I am surprised that you replaced the failed part with an identical part, and not a part with twice the power rating of the failed part.

-AC
Old 06-26-15, 02:17 PM   #6
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Actually, I did! (Higher rating.) Through no foresight on my own, though. It was one of the first available ones I saw and the price was right, so I got it.

Old 06-26-15, 03:24 PM   #7
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Actually, I did! (Higher rating.) Through no foresight on my own, though. It was one of the first available ones I saw and the price was right, so I got it.

Chance was your friend!

-AC
Old 06-27-15, 01:40 AM   #8
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Interesting they used a DC motor and rectifier rather than a common induction motor.
Old 06-30-15, 01:03 PM   #9
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Must have been cheaper to make?

---

The mower got its first big workout in damp & longer-than-usual grass, and it's A-OK.

The rectifier (FYI, it's 25A 1000V rated) does get warm -- I'd guess 100 F. But I have no idea if that's normal or not - I've never checked the temp of its twin mower. .

Last edited by Daox; 06-30-15 at 02:31 PM..
Old 07-04-15, 07:20 PM   #10
oil pan 4
Land owner

Induction motors cant put out the torque needed for such an application and still be small and light weight.

I used one of those from 2006 to 2011 when I lived in Virginia.
Last year I picked one of for use here, it was broke and free. Just like you said there wasn't much that could be wrong with it. Turned out the switch was bad, I think a new switch was $14 with shipping.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote