EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-20, 08:22 AM   #11
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I'm in Texas. I've upgraded/replaced central systems in two houses now. In both cases, the electricity savings were right in line with the SEER rating upgrade. The old house's system paid for itself in electric savings in about 7 years, and the new one is on track to do the same. In my experience, you will not regret stepping up to the higher efficiency. I highly recommend it.

This is me paying the retail price to have someone else install. I'll diy lots of things but not AC. Your price quotes sound a little high. That's around what my quotes were for a 5 ton unit. I'd shop around a little more.

PaleMelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaleMelanesian For This Useful Post:
Wanna Beco (05-06-20)
Old 05-06-20, 09:24 AM   #12
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Maytag split system

You commented on reliability, so I thought I'd throw this out there.

In early July 2013, after getting a home energy audit, I was told to add 5" of insulation in my attic and I would be good to drop from our oversized 3 ton unit to a 2 ton split system. Without the extra insulation, I would need a 2.5 ton unit. Ten inches of insulation later (if 5" is good, 10" must be better) our SEER 19 variable speed compressor, variable speed blower motor split system was installed. The HSPF is over 10, but I don't remember the exact figure. About a month ago, we had our first problem with the unit. It was trying to kick on, but didn't do it as normal. After a few tries, it kicked on at a higher power setting than normal. The repairman came and checked it, finding the blower motor inside was bad. He said the odd noises we heard while it tried to kick on was the control unit sending the start pulse to the blower and then pausing when the blower didn't start. He said it was a fail-safe of sorts to protect the unit. We paid under $200.00 for the entire test and blower motor replacement.

We are well pleased with this HVAC unit. {BTW, our indoor half of the split system is installed over our attached garage and the duct work is in our attic. }
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasstingy For This Useful Post:
Wanna Beco (05-06-20)
Old 05-06-20, 01:35 PM   #13
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
You commented on reliability, so I thought I'd throw this out there.

In early July 2013, after getting a home energy audit, I was told to add 5" of insulation in my attic and I would be good to drop from our oversized 3 ton unit to a 2 ton split system. Without the extra insulation, I would need a 2.5 ton unit. Ten inches of insulation later (if 5" is good, 10" must be better) our SEER 19 variable speed compressor, variable speed blower motor split system was installed. The HSPF is over 10, but I don't remember the exact figure. About a month ago, we had our first problem with the unit. It was trying to kick on, but didn't do it as normal. After a few tries, it kicked on at a higher power setting than normal. The repairman came and checked it, finding the blower motor inside was bad. He said the odd noises we heard while it tried to kick on was the control unit sending the start pulse to the blower and then pausing when the blower didn't start. He said it was a fail-safe of sorts to protect the unit. We paid under $200.00 for the entire test and blower motor replacement.

We are well pleased with this HVAC unit. {BTW, our indoor half of the split system is installed over our attached garage and the duct work is in our attic. }
I have no experience replacing a variable speed indoor fan motor . However , from what I read on the internet , you came out smelling like a rose !

Be sure to treat that HVAC technician like a king and ask for him / her personally if you have any more repair calls . :-)

Wyr
God bless
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WyrTwister For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (05-07-20)
Old 05-06-20, 03:13 PM   #14
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
Be sure to treat that HVAC technician like a king and ask for him / her personally if you have any more repair calls . :-)
Good Advice. I have a company coming today and I am going to talk about mini spit replacement specifically with them.
Wanna Beco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 12:28 AM   #15
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Beco View Post
Good Advice. I have a company coming today and I am going to talk about mini spit replacement specifically with them.
We DIY installed 2 mini-splits . Both unknown brands .

But I read many traditional HVAC contractors are not too hot on mini-splits . So , do not be reluctant to ask the contractors about . If they are not interested , do not wast your time with them . Call a different contractor .

Remember , just about all the mini-splits are made in Asia , regardless of brand name .

As far as HVAC in general , I read the quality of the installers work is more important than the brand of the equipment .

No matter which brand / type of equipment you purchase , the higher the SEER , the more money in energy you should save . But the more expensive the equipment is to purchase and repair ( if needed ) .

On the other hand , as I mentioned , you are located in a spot where you will have many hours of run time , giving faster pay back on higher SEER equipment .

Best of luck to you , :-)
Wyr
God bless
Old 05-07-20, 11:21 AM   #16
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

@wyr

Do you know why the contractors aren't hip to the mini split?

And to the comment on their work. I don't think I would know if there work were sloppy or not. As a layman, it's hard to tell, so even internet reviews are tuff to go by. I agree though. I have a friend who is a low voltage contractor and his work is higher quality than even a finish carpenter would care about. All his work is behind your wall though so no one knows.
Old 05-07-20, 11:52 AM   #17
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Beco View Post
@wyr

Do you know why the contractors aren't hip to the mini split?

And to the comment on their work. I don't think I would know if there work were sloppy or not. As a layman, it's hard to tell, so even internet reviews are tuff to go by. I agree though. I have a friend who is a low voltage contractor and his work is higher quality than even a finish carpenter would care about. All his work is behind your wall though so no one knows.
A few guesses ;

A - Do not want to change their product line or their way of doing business .

B - Higher profit margin with their standard product line .

C - Just unfamiliar with mini-splits .

D - Resent the DIY'ers , like myself ( taking business away from them ) .

E - Fact that most / all the equipment is made in Asia . Scarcity of replacement parts .

We have an account at work with a few HVAC supply companies . So , I purchased pretty much for wholesale . But you can order equipment off the internet very competitively .

I pretty much have the tooling & I took the online test to get the entry EPA card . So , I can purchase refrigerant if the need arises .

Should you get a mini-split , the heat pump is very little more money than straight A/C , although straight A/C is a little simpler .

Our heat pump / mini-splits heat OK down to an outdoor temperature af at least 25F .

Best of luck , :-)
Wyr
God bless
Old 05-07-20, 12:16 PM   #18
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

@WyrTwister

Thank you , I appreciate the information.
Old 05-12-20, 11:20 AM   #19
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

In case anyone is watching the thread, I have inquired with 3 contractors about the mini split. They all independently recommend against it. They all talked about having to run refrigerant lines anew. I would require 2 ground units to run all the "fans" I would need. And that would only put one in our family/livingroom/dining room. Some of it sounded legit and some didn't. I myself could see pros and cons to both. I am going to go with the same type of system I have, but appreciate the input from everyone. Maybe the next time I change my air it will be all the rage.

Last edited by Wanna Beco; 05-12-20 at 06:01 PM..
Old 05-12-20, 05:51 PM   #20
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Up to 4 indoor units can be run from one outdoor unit .

Yes , needs refrigeration lines to each indoor units .

Wyr
God bless