EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-20, 08:51 PM   #11
skyking
Helper EcoRenovator

I think they are brilliant just as-is. It is what we do with the hot air that may differ.

skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-20, 08:58 PM   #12
solarhotairpanels
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I think they are brilliant just as-is. It is what we do with the hot air that may differ.
Well thank you for that comment..

They are light as a feather to carry because of the galvanized metal stud framing...

I saw a post somewhere where a guy piled a whole bunch of big stones in a crate in his basement and had the hot air blow thru the stones then return to collector. The stones got heated pretty darn good and radiated heat for quite some time after the sun went down.

Pretty cool..

Ok well again, good luck with your future ventures.
I'm sure you'll build a great system and have fun doing it.

Please Note:
Comments and/or suggestions I make here at the forums on 'your' projects as well as my own have all been carefully and scientifically calculated by 'the seat of my pants'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
solarhotairpanels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solarhotairpanels For This Useful Post:
skyking (12-24-20)
Old 12-21-21, 09:01 PM   #13
skyking
Helper EcoRenovator

Default fast forward

Pat, we secured our retirement property and now have a better idea of what the house will look like. I just re-found this thread and as soon as I started typing I have and idea!
We won't have the best southern exposure, but are going for a modern style, with single pitch roofs and clerestory windows. We will utilize generous overhangs to control summer heat. My new idea:
Space the clerestory windows in the upper wall area and put your style of solar collector between those spaced windows. This area has a 2' overhang, which will keep the summer high angle sun off the panels. It will keep the rain off them too.
In the shoulder and winter when we want the heat, they will be in sun. I will build chases into the center of the house for the heat ducts to/from the panels, and also conduit for the solar panels.
The south roof will be coated with grid tied solar, a couple of dedicated DC panels, and drainback water pre-heat.
I am planning on a 6' high crawlspace (LOL crawl!)
I will insulate the crawlspace wall, then build a plywood box and fill with 2" or so washed rock. That will be insulated and I will pipe hot air into that for storage. I am going for simple heat mass.

Last edited by skyking; 12-22-21 at 09:01 AM..
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-22, 04:43 PM   #14
solarhotairpanels
Helper EcoRenovator

That sounds like a heck of a build you are doing there..
Make sure to take a ton of pictures along the way and post em here at the forum.
Let me know when you repost again ok?

Thanks in advance!

Please Note:
Comments and/or suggestions I make here at the forums on 'your' projects as well as my own have all been carefully and scientifically calculated by 'the seat of my pants'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
solarhotairpanels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solarhotairpanels For This Useful Post:
skyking (03-12-22)