EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-08, 12:59 PM   #1
cmittle
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Photography

Anybody else here spend some of their spare time taking pictures and/or editing them? This is one of my various hobbies and my desire to do it comes and goes. In the last few days it's been coming again. Check out my Flickr page here.

I got into it when my mom got me a Fuji S6500fd for Christmas a few years ago. It's a fun camera and I've learned a lot using it.

cmittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 02:42 PM   #2
SVOboy
Administrator

Funny you should mention it. I've actually been shopping around recently for a better camera (looking at some of the lower-end DSLRs), though most of my photography these days seems to be for EM or ER,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 06:48 AM   #3
groar
X-Frenchy: very

Fun, I bought this camera one month before the birth of my son 18 months ago I use it mainly to take pictures of the family. I love it, yes my son too

I have some difficulties from time to times but I have better results than with my previous camera.

I love your sunset, sunrise and lightning.

Denis.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (2.66 kg/l diesel)
  • kg saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels : 187 kg/yr
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (59.1 g/kWh)
Radioactive wastes saved by 3kWc photo-voltaic solar panels :
  • Long life (>100,000 years) : 2.85 g/yr (0.9 mg/kWh)
  • Short life (<300 years) : 31.7 g/yr (10.0 mg/kWh)
Based upon "official" French figures...
groar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 08:07 AM   #4
Tony Raine
Helper EcoRenovator

I don't have a real good camera, i just like to take pictures. here are some i took on my honeymoon in Jamaica. i have a tripod now, but haven't used it to see if it makes a difference.

Tony Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 02:48 PM   #5
Higgy
The Gardener

Nice shots Tony.

I've got a Nikon D70 with 3 lenses as well as a Canon SD870 as a side pocket camera. I've been using my DSLR for a couple of years now and have taken classes in the past on how to use all the settings. I also work with a developer here at work that does wedding shoots on the side who's been into photography for over 14 years that helps me out from time to time as well. I do a lot of photo editing (more basic then advanced as I don't like to waste too much time editing my pictures).
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 08:50 PM   #6
cmittle
Helper EcoRenovator

Very nice Jamaica pictures. Photography is like motorcycle riding, I don't judge based on the make and model of camera, but I respect you for similar interests (riding or photography).

My Fuji looks like a DSLR, b/c is has a long lens on it with a manual zoom. It does however have a fixed lens so I can not switch out lenses. It is kind of bulky and not something I want to take certain places, in those instances I use my girlfriends camera a Sony point and shoot, and it has very high quality. That being said I'd still like to have a Rebel or D40.

Happy riding, or shooting
Old 10-23-08, 07:51 AM   #7
Tony Raine
Helper EcoRenovator

i wish i could post up the full-resolution shots (it was set at the camera's max). it was just an old kodak easyshare camera. worked great, but the newer one i bought (after the first was stolen) was horrible. took it back and bought a canon powershot 8.1 mp. i would love to have a higher-end camera, but if i break this one (or gets stolen) i'm only out $150.
Tony Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 08:24 AM   #8
Daox
Administrator

You could post links to the full res shots.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 09:57 AM   #9
Higgy
The Gardener

True, as long as the shot looks good, then it doesn't matter how it got taken or with what. I like my DSLR because I can do so much more with it then just point and shoot. For example, one lense that I have has a 1.8 F stop so I can shoot in very low light without a flash where as with a regular digital, I always get the flash or if I turn the flash off it goes blurry. So the picture with my DSLR is more natural looking. I also like taking different types of pictures so being able to change the aperature, shutterspeed, etc... allows me to do a variety of things I can't do with my smaller point and shoot.

It all depends on what you want to do with your camera to know what is suitable for each individual person.

Nice pics BTW Cmittle. Pretty cool editing you've done to some of your pics too. Do you mostly use Gimp?

Last edited by Higgy; 10-23-08 at 10:01 AM..
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:55 AM   #10
cmittle
Helper EcoRenovator

I use gimp. I have Ubuntu on my laptop and desktop computers. I do use qtpsfgui on some pics for tone mapping, like that digger picture you see in my flickr profile.