EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-17, 08:08 PM   #31
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

The new solar edge setups promise a lot. They have a lot of the same functionality of the Enphase rigs. Each panel has an optimizer module attached, so individual panels can be monitored and so they don't limit string production. They have a variety of inverter modules for increased flexibility to get the most out of the system. The only thing is I haven't seen anyone using the system.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-17, 08:45 PM   #32
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I can find info on youtube all day long with emphase microinverters . But the solar edge i may can find 1 to 100 of emphase. I like the concept . But i am not in a position to be a test dummy. Everything i get is comming from savings as of now its 3 years worth. I have been a fan of the microinverter for a while . But it does have flaws the optimizer seems to fix . Research research . Sadly they arent enough out to do much on for those .
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 12:20 PM   #33
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Robaroni uses SolarEdge with power optimizers he has had good luck with them.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/51257-post542.html
Roostre used them
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-...th-cost-8.html

Solar Edge is a little cheaper than Enphase at least when I installed.
The only two systems I considered was Enphase and SolarEdge with power optimizers. I wanted per panel monitoring.
SolarEdge inverter warranty was shorter so I added extended warranty to the cost comparison.

I all used two inverters instead of one I do not want my whole array down while I wait months for a replacement inverter. Look on the net inverters go bad and will need to be replaced at some point.

All that said I still think SolarEdge is a very good system.
The thing I was concerned with on Enphase was that they stay in business.
Their trunk cable is expensive.

Enphase has great docs on their web site. They tell you everything you need to know.
I found these installs very useful.
Designing and Installing a Grid-Tie PV System
Doug's New 4.6 KW micro inverter DIY Grid Tied PV Array

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (08-31-17), nokiasixteth (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 09:41 PM   #34
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Just making it in. 6-9 today late night not much computer time again. I like the thought of a hybrid system with a battery bank is nice . But thats a lot of money added into the initial cost but . Always an addition. And with both having the system to add bateries now . I am sure something newer would come too.

Only thing with a little cheaper (sometimes you get what you pay for ) Not sure if that would be the case thought
Old 09-03-17, 01:06 PM   #35
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I am trying to decide if i want to put my panels on my house or on the shop. I am thinking that maybe that the shop may be better oriented and may get better sunlight. My house is facing 115 degrees. And my shop is at 200 degrees . I didnt get up there with my inclinometer to be able to get the incline on them yet . What would be yalls suggestions . I will get some drone footage of it soon.
Old 10-01-17, 08:49 AM   #36
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Bought 22 of the ecosolargy 230 watt panels.
Polycrystalline | EcoSolargy

Now i am on the mission to find weather i want to go micro . Or if i want to go with optomizers . Like the optomizer because i plan to add a battery bank for backup sorta like a backup generator just no gas needed.
Old 10-01-17, 12:30 PM   #37
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
I am trying to decide if i want to put my panels on my house or on the shop. I am thinking that maybe that the shop may be better oriented and may get better sunlight. My house is facing 115 degrees. And my shop is at 200 degrees . I didnt get up there with my inclinometer to be able to get the incline on them yet . What would be yalls suggestions . I will get some drone footage of it soon.
Run both scenarios through PVWatts, and compare the outcomes.

At our farm in Maine, I've run 4 scenarios. House, Garage, Gambrel Barn, or ground mount. I'd have to work with what I'm given in the first three options, but I realize dropping footers below the frost line (48 inches) and having to build a total framework for the panels to stand on is going to be a considerably larger expense than tacking brackets and beams on a roof. The flip side is that I am assured a ground mount will probably not cause any future roof leaks.

When I look at 20-25 years of energy production from my choices, it starts becoming clear.

My setup in Florida is not optimally "due south" because the house faces about 16° west of due south. That doesn't sound like much, but it certainly takes a chunk off "peak" output.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 08:14 PM   #38
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I just realized that I missed a few of the posts about Solaredge because I was off on a vacation at the end of August.

I have had my Solaredge system since my system was installed in November 2014. Nearly 3 years later the whole system(Solaredge inverter, Solaredge optimizers, SolarWorld PV, and an eGauge) have been operating flawlessly.

I have 3.36kw of modules on the roof and a Solaredge 3kw unit. It says on the box that it's 3.3kw maximum but I've seen it push up to a cap of 3,395 and 3,454 watts(separate days) without getting near the published derating temperatures on a few cool clear days with full sun. When it was at 3395 watts, my eGauge confirmed it. This might be higher if the unit current limits because my supply voltage is consistently near 245 volts day and night.

I like the Solaredge system versus using Enphase because I didn't want to put electrolytic capacitors on my roof and heard enough of the Enphase failures and didn't want to pull panels to get to Enphase units when the hot caps fail. I also didn't want to go with only a string inverter because I clean the solar panels in the winter and I get better output when I don't get all the white snow and ice off with the optimizers. I can actually see the output climb during the time I was clearing the panels off. With a string inverter I wouldn't bother because I'd need them to be perfectly clean to get any decent output. The Solaredge system was cheaper than the Enphase system too and if you want the monitoring that's built in, you don't need to pay for it like you do with the Enphase system.

I also like it because unlike other string inverters, this one is compatible with the NEC fast shutdown requirement and works with any of the four shutoff switches in my system(the outdoor electrical disconnect, the breaker, the inverter off switch, or the inverters DC disconnect knob).
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MN Renovator For This Useful Post:
nokiasixteth (10-01-17)
Old 10-01-17, 09:10 PM   #39
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
I just realized that I missed a few of the posts about Solaredge because I was off on a vacation at the end of August.

I have had my Solaredge system since my system was installed in November 2014. Nearly 3 years later the whole system(Solaredge inverter, Solaredge optimizers, SolarWorld PV, and an eGauge) have been operating flawlessly.

I have 3.36kw of modules on the roof and a Solaredge 3kw unit. It says on the box that it's 3.3kw maximum but I've seen it push up to a cap of 3,395 and 3,454 watts(separate days) without getting near the published derating temperatures on a few cool clear days with full sun. When it was at 3395 watts, my eGauge confirmed it. This might be higher if the unit current limits because my supply voltage is consistently near 245 volts day and night.

I like the Solaredge system versus using Enphase because I didn't want to put electrolytic capacitors on my roof and heard enough of the Enphase failures and didn't want to pull panels to get to Enphase units when the hot caps fail. I also didn't want to go with only a string inverter because I clean the solar panels in the winter and I get better output when I don't get all the white snow and ice off with the optimizers. I can actually see the output climb during the time I was clearing the panels off. With a string inverter I wouldn't bother because I'd need them to be perfectly clean to get any decent output. The Solaredge system was cheaper than the Enphase system too and if you want the monitoring that's built in, you don't need to pay for it like you do with the Enphase system.

I also like it because unlike other string inverters, this one is compatible with the NEC fast shutdown requirement and works with any of the four shutoff switches in my system(the outdoor electrical disconnect, the breaker, the inverter off switch, or the inverters DC disconnect knob).
I like the emphase . But the more i look into it i am likeing the solar edge. Main reason is dc current . My plan is to later on down the road add a lithium battery bank just for small appliances. Done a weeks worth of testing a 8kw bank will run my fridge,tvs, 3dprinter,computer everything but the ac. That tells me half my juice is from heating and cooling my place. So insulation will be another investment.

I am looking at the moment to see what types inveter i will need for these panels. Being not much info is on youtube you have to dig a bit more. Only info i see is the installation and few small things like that.
Old 10-01-17, 11:03 PM   #40
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
https://enphase.com/en-us/products-and-services/storage

With this setup, the battery modules are used to level your usage/generation profile. If grid power goes out, the battery modules will NOT power your home. The battery modules can also not be charged if the grid is down.
Who would actually buy a UPS that doesn't work as a UPS?