EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-21-09, 08:49 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default non-heated dryer?

We have had a lot of talk lately about drying clothes. Now that it is getting colder out, we have been drying clothes indoors in the dryer. My question for you guys is, if time is no object, do you think drying clothes in a dryer without heat would use less energy? You could easily do this by disconnecting the gas line in a gas dryer, or disconnecting the heating element in an electric dryer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 01:07 PM   #2
Bicycle Bob
Suncatcher

I think that evaporating water takes the same amount of energy at any temperature; only the rate changes. I'm doing my drying indoors, but leaving the humidifier off to compromise on comfort.
Bicycle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 06:17 PM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

You drier should have a "low heat" setting, you might check your electric meeter before and after and see how much it uses, same goes for your gas meter.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 06:29 PM   #4
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

One trick I have found to speed up drying is to simply have a small fan blowing on the clothes. The energy usage is very little and the clothes are dry the next day. It would increase the evaporative cooling effect that is unwanted during the winter but very welcome during the summer. (It essentially uses the heat in the room to dry the clothes, so it's killing two birds with one stone during the summer!)
Old 11-21-09, 08:36 PM   #5
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

Assuming that your dryer breathes warm inside air, and vents it outside, probably not.

i have though about creating a loop and placing a dehumidifier in there along with "a little" heat. Not sure how well that would work either . . . .
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 01:12 AM   #6
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
One trick I have found to speed up drying is to simply have a small fan blowing on the clothes. The energy usage is very little and the clothes are dry the next day. It would increase the evaporative cooling effect that is unwanted during the winter but very welcome during the summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
I think that evaporating water takes the same amount of energy at any temperature; only the rate changes.
Yes, it does evaporate at any temperature, even below freezing. Warm air can hold more moisture, and that may be one of the reasons evaporation increases with temperature.
I remember reading in one of Asimov's pop sci books that evaporating water takes 5 times more energy (heat) than warming it from freezing to boiling. This is why it gets cool in a room with drying clothes. This is also how the body's cooling system (sweat on skin) works.
Wind (moving air) creates a pressure drop proportional to its speed, and evaporation increases with decreasing pressure.
[/Just my two cents.]
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 09:08 AM   #7
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
i have though about creating a loop and placing a dehumidifier in there along with "a little" heat. Not sure how well that would work either . . . .
There are dryers out there that use heat pumps in exactly that manner. My parents have one. It's more than twice as efficient as a regular dryer but still nowhere as efficient as a simple fan.
Old 11-28-09, 02:07 PM   #8
dremd
Need More Eco

Quote:
There are dryers out there that use heat pumps in exactly that manner. My parents have one. It's more than twice as efficient as a regular dryer but still nowhere as efficient as a simple fan.
Umm, WOW. Link Please?
Never heard of such a thing, but now I want one.
Old 11-28-09, 05:46 PM   #9
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

WM3431HS Washer/Dryer Combos Appliances
(Not the one I have, but it is similar.)
Quote:
Also, the combo uses only 1.4 kilowatts per hour during the drying cycle—as opposed to 5 or 6 for a conventional dryer.
I think that one uses a 1.5-2HP compressor, probably using R-134a. Therefore, it should be even more efficient than the older models that use solid state heat pumps.
Old 11-28-09, 05:51 PM   #10
dremd
Need More Eco

Quote:
WM3431HS Washer/Dryer Combos Appliances
(Not the one I have, but it is similar.)

I think that one uses a 1.5-2HP compressor, probably using R-134a. Therefore, it should be even more efficient than the older models that use solid state heat pumps.
All in 1 = EPIC
I want one Oh Man
I wish I knew about this 2 months ago when we got a new Washer.

Edit: That is just a standard Condensing dryer. Shame on me for not reading before posting.
I was considering hacking a condensing unit with a dehumidifier.

Edit: #2 Maybe not

Quote:
Energy Efficiency:
The LG unit is very energy efficient. Because the Washer/Dryer Combo uses 50% less water, your hot water heater does not have to use as much energy. Also, the unit uses only 1.4 kilowatts per hour during the drying cycle, as opposed to 5 or 6 for a conventional dryer.

Last edited by dremd; 11-28-09 at 05:57 PM..