EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-14, 10:27 AM   #1
stevehull
Steve Hull

Default new solar panel tax in Oklahoma

Sad news for us (and me) in Oklahoma.

The Oklahoma legislature is considering a bill (SB 1456) that will allow utilities to create a new rate structure for people supply distributed energy (wind, PV panel, etc) into the grid by way of net metering. Utilities want to have people that use net metering to pay for the grid.

I agree with them to a point. The problem is that PV use here in Oklahoma is terribly low and it should be encouraged, not discouraged. Once

I am thinking that if I put up just one panel, that I may be able to get qualified now with the existing rate structure. Then I can later put up a 10 kW system . . .

Ideas?

Steve

philb (04-03-14)
Old 04-02-14, 12:25 PM   #2
jeff88
Lots of questions

First, what is the new rate plan going to be? Here in PG&E territory, we have taxes and fees associated with our energy bill whether we have solar or not. So some people's bills are like $5, not for any usage just the taxes/fees. But what would the 'special' rate plan be if this bill goes through?

Second, I get where you're going with the one panel now idea, trying to grandfather it in. I like the idea, but it all depends on if they grandfather or not or if there is a system size threshold.

Also, instead of putting up one panel, put up the whole racking system with one panel, that way you don't have to put any extra holes in. It will obviously cost a little bit more, but significantly less than buying the whole system.
jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 09:45 PM   #3
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

There are very few alternative energy companies in the state now. Most are part time.

Thanks Steve! I'll read the bill and start writing the lawmakers.
philb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 10:09 PM   #4
where2
DIY Geek

If it's anything like where I live, it wouldn't matter. My power company gets permission to change the rate structure all the time. Just yesterday, a new natural gas fired power plant went online locally after being offline for ~3 years while they demolished an old facility (built in the 1950s) and rebuilt it from the ground up. As a result, the "non-fuel energy charges" on my bill just went up, so the investor owned utility can recover their "investment". The newer NG fueled plant was sold as using cheaper domestically produced NG fuel. The net result to the customer is expected to be a $1.25 increase in the average bill of 1,000kWh per month.

I built my own energy efficient power plant on the roof of my house in 2013. I bought 42kWh last month from the grid. Ironically, 42kWh is less than my electric water heater consumed...

where2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net metering, oklahoma, pv panels, solar