EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-01-11, 09:24 AM   #61
ndukszta
Lurking Renovator

Default Need charger for M3300

Hello Metro MPG - have the same awesome mower....lost the charger and they don't make it anymore. Any ideas on where I can find one?

ndukszta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 09:35 AM   #62
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

You could use any 12 volt rated "wall wart" style of charger that is rated to output about the same power - 1.7 amps in this case:

This charger actually puts out about 20 volts, open circuit (not plugged in to any load) says my voltmeter.

You might even be able to use a standard car battery charger if it has a 2 amp "trickle" setting on it.

You would just need to get/make a male connector to fit the female one on the mower (and test to make sure you get the polarity right when wiring it).

FYI, you probably already know this, but it's very important for the health of the mower's battery (any lead acid battery, really) that you don't let it sit partially discharged.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 10:11 AM   #63
Daox
Administrator

If you do go with an aftermarket charger (thats what I would do), I'd highly suggest a Soneil charger. I have them on my battery electric riding mower and LOVE them. The price on a 2A charger is a very reasonable $38. I also bought my chargers from the vendor I've linked to and he was extremely helpful even when I had issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 06:58 PM   #64
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Make sure that any battery charger you get is designed for lead acid gel batteries as they do not like to be over charged, batteries like that are more and more common for motorcycles so that would be a place to start.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 07:13 PM   #65
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Good point.

The OEM charger for this mower is actually "dumb" - it will put out ~1.7A at ~20v until the cows come home.

However, voltage monitoring happens on the mower's circuit board: when it rises to whatever threshold it deems high enough, current is shunted to a finned resistive load/heat sink thinger to protect the battery.

So you should be good to get another cheap, dumb charger (if cheap and dumb suits you).

Old 08-01-11, 08:03 PM   #66
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Good point.

The OEM charger for this mower is actually "dumb" - it will put out ~1.7A at ~20v until the cows come home.

However, voltage monitoring happens on the mower's circuit board: when it rises to whatever threshold it deems high enough, current is shunted to a finned resistive load/heat sink thinger to protect the battery.

So you should be good to get another cheap, dumb charger (if cheap and dumb suits you).
Ugh. The makers of the mower decided it was better to dump 30W all day and night long until you unplug the charger, rather than jack the price up a few dollars for a "smart" charger controller board. It's still better than a gas mower, but upgrading to a smart charger, or putting it on a timer, is low-hanging fruit.
RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 08:58 PM   #67
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Ugh is right.

In a manual I found for a similar one, they even say "it's OK to leave your mower plugged in all the time."

Old 08-12-11, 02:09 PM   #68
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

So, the mower's working fine. I've used it 3 or 4 times now.

The only thing it's missing is (1) I need to tidy up the battery pack connections (tape them); (2) secure the batteries better, and (3) reinstall the motor cover.

I also need (4) a way to permanently monitor battery voltage while cutting (necessary if you're using older batteries and you want to prolong their lives as much as you can).

So I just bought a 12/24v digital gauge that I'll mount on the mower ($6.28 US on eBay, with shipping). It's meant to plug into a car cigarette lighter socket, but I'll hack it & mount it on the cover, I think.

Measuring range: DC 8V-30Vą%1.2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	491357537_o.jpg
Views:	2713
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1684  

Old 08-12-11, 02:17 PM   #69
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Oh, also Mower #2 (the 7A, AC one I picked up partway through this project) is also working fine, at the garage. I've used it 4 or 5 times, powered by the solar setup.

Ultimately I'd like to put up my spare 1A panel and use it to recharge this battery mower, so they're both grid-free & gas free.

Old 08-12-11, 02:22 PM   #70
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

OH! And an update on Mower #3 - the spare, identical M3300 battery mower I picked up "for parts"...

I fixed its charger - it was a short circuit (sloppy manufacturing) that blew the internal fuse.

Aside from "jump starting" the mower it to see if the switch/motor works (it does), I haven't stuck batteries in it to try mowing with it.

I have too many lawnmowers. I have backups for my backups.

Just need a goat to round out the fleet.