Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-10, 07:38 AM   #11
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
So, how does this work?
The plan is to wait for a calm day, then drive down my usually deserted country road. I will record speed, current, and voltage at given load resistances. Basically I want to gather data to make a power vs wind speed curve for the wind turbine. Thru bench testing, I have already made a power curve for the generator, so I know what it is capable of and I know the load resistance that should give the maximum power at any given rpm. Now I need to see if the blades can turn the generator well enough to make that power and how much wind speed they need to do that.
Testing will show me the minimum wind speed required to meet the minimum power and voltage required to start a grid tie inverter. Information can be gathered to help me decide when I want the turbine to furl. I can then put the proper weighted tail fin on and test the furling with the test rig. With the test rig I don't need to wait for big wind to see if these blades are a good match for the generator, I can observe it under controlled wind speeds to be sure it performs safely and properly overall.

Since there should be minimal wind on test day, I will use the truck speedometer for the as-tested wind speed. This is as good as I can do it without a good anenometer mounted up stream of the turbine. I have a cheap hand held wind speed meter, but I don't trust it's accuracy.

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote