EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 05-04-09, 09:26 PM   #1
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Hello, EcoRenovator!

I've been an environmentalist and a Mechanical Engineer-in-training for years (and an EcoModder for a few months). I'm finally renting my own place, a 900 sq. ft., 2 bedroom upper that dates to 1929. It's just me and the cat here, so I have full control over green decisions.

I'm in Buffalo, NY, so the thermostat is set to Heat for 7-8 months of the year, and I like to run a window A/C about four weeks during the summer.

I'm buying renewable electricty from a local cooperative, but that's no reason not to minimize my electric consumption. Obviously, I have CFLs in all the sockets except the closets, and I run them very seldom, preferring passive solar lighting. I've got an energy-efficient, home-built PC, which draws 23W at the wall, plus 10W for the monitor with the backlight turned down.

I've turned the hot water down all the way, and I take a shower in straight hot. I wish I had hotter water for the dishes, but compromizes must be made.

Though I haven't made complete measurements, it feels like I've done almost everything I can easily do, and now my (summertime) energy usage is now dominated by things beyond my control, like laundry and the kitchen appliances.

So that's an introduction to my home energy usage situation. I've already found a few good ideas here, like the DIY freezer->fridge conversion, and I hope to find more worthwhile reading here.

RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 07:24 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site Robert. I'm sure you'll find a few ideas here to help you out.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 01:47 PM   #3
wyatt
Helper EcoRenovator

If you have an electric water heater, you can try a timer that warms the water just before you need it... I would really like to be able to try it myself, but I have gas

wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote