EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-14, 11:37 AM   #1
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Default counter top water boiler.

A few years ago I put a Kill-A-Watt meter on my counter top water boiler and saw that it took about 50 watt hours to bring 4 cups of water to a boil, about half of what a microwave uses and 1/4 of what it takes to boil on the stove top.
Most water boilers that I see in stores are plastic, a few are stainless steel but they still have a plastic window down the side, mine is all stainless steel inside, even if the plastic is not a health issue it is still a weak point that could start to leak and make the kettle useless.

Hamilton Beach 40898 Cool-Touch 8-Cup Cordless Electric Kettle : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining

What got me thinking about this device that I use every day is yesterday I was at a friends house and they had the same kind of device only it was glass! the element was bonded to the glass bottom and the water only came in contact with glass, they loved it and said they used it every day.

The Capresso H20 Kettle - Beautiful Heat-Resistant Kettle With An Automatic Shut Off Feature | DavidsTea

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-14, 09:10 AM   #2
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Wonder what the most efficient water boiler/heater for counter top units is today? Ours is the old pump top type that stays plugged in. It holds about a gallon of water and gets emptied at least once a day.
Geo NR Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-14, 01:31 PM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

It seems logical to avoid standby heat loss when possible, but if you are using all of the hot water then you are avoiding heating to much.

The only thing that I like more about the stainless steel boiler over the glass version is the stainless one is double wall, so the outside is cool to the touch.

Vacuum dispenser (like coffee shops use) will keep water hot for the whole day, but heating water without losses seems important.
Old 01-10-14, 01:36 PM   #4
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Zojirushi CV-DYC40 Super VE 4-Liter Vacuum Electric Dispensing Pot : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining

This looks slick, vacuum insulated water boiler that can maintain a set temp.

That is the nice thing about electric water heating, the element can be isolated in a small heater, focusing the energy at the water that needs to be heated.
Old 01-10-14, 11:03 PM   #5
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I Have a Toastess stainless steel kettle 1500w of efficiency.. well the way I use it.
It holds 2L of water but i put in enough water to cover the exposed element which is enough for two cups of coffee as it turns out.
I notice when I'm at others houses they Fill the kettle right up which not only wastes electricity it wastes time not that I'm that pressed for time but I am a a bit of a impatient conservationist..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecomodded For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-13-14)
Old 01-12-14, 07:34 PM   #6
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

My big issue is sound. I have gone through 2-3 units trying to find one that doesn't make me turn up the radio just to hear it over the kettle.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-14, 08:29 PM   #7
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

My 15 year old Toastess kettle is dead quiet I cannot hear it as it heats up or when it boils (barely) all I really hear is the click of the button as it auto shuts off.
It has hardly any harmonic noise and has a 1/4" thick diameter sturdy metal element inside it , Classic simple design most will be familiar with from kettles dating way back.
If you can find one like this one you will be set for a quiet kettle that is dependable, and it has no plastic inside of it.
disclaimer: This newer Toastess version of the older familiar style is quieter then the old style was.

a photo..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hostess kettle_800x600.JPG
Views:	1055
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	3866  

Last edited by Daox; 01-16-14 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: Changed Hostess to Toastess - corrected -
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecomodded For This Useful Post:
Ryland (01-16-14)