EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-16, 08:58 PM   #1
papitohead
Lurking Renovator

Default First thread and... My solar system

OK here we go, bin bin bin, ban ban ban.

Not really, I am not that Joe, but it is my first thread of many to come. (Please, be nice to papitohead).

So here is the hypothesis: I live part time in Puerto Rico and part time in Colombia, South America. I own properties in both places. Besides, I do visit Upstate NY where I started getting the passive solar idea, etc before I was transferred to Puerto Rico.

Since my wife is Colombian and wants to live near her family, then what my idea is a passive solar home. In Colombia? Why? Well, here is the thing. I know about passive solar. Lived in upstate NY for 32 years. But where we are heading to in Colombia is near the hometown of former president Uribe and also the very famous Pablo Escobar. The area of the Departamento (State) is Eastern Antioquia. Why, Daytime temps are 72-76F, Night time 55-60F. Big deal, huh. Yes it is, because is the 12 months of the year.You will get about 10 days a year that you will really have to snuggle or get some heating. Many houses there are built with fire places or wood stoves. Building a passive solar you will know when the cold nights will hit you so you use your passive solar abilities. If you want to learn about Eastern Antioquia, just google it. Don't move to the big city Medellin because they sit in a canyon and so many cars, motorcycles and trucks/buses makes it very smoggy and bad for you. Head to the country side where I am going to build.

Now to the meat stuff with my questions:

1. What should I learn first from this site or on my own. Electricity? (wired my last built house in NY by reading books. Where I lived then, you did not need a permit because I bought an old trailer lot in the NY country side and built the house. In Puerto Rico I have added rooms all over and added the electricity myself.

2. Should I learn about wiring most of the stuff DC power to get the most out of it and try to find all the appliances wired DC (not much choice on Fridges), or should I go AC and ...

3. I want to build a system for at least 4 persons but is just my wife and I (but if she keeps thinking she knows more than Google. it may be just me, lol)

4. I will need hot water, but I am already an expert because I build a pretty decent solar water heater here in PR. So if with an electric hot water heater that I can power with my battery bank, then will be better.

5. Solar cells I will have to keep an eye, because new technology and prices keep dropping down. I have some educational DVDs of how to make them, but if they will be that cheap, then will be another story.

6. The electrical hardware will be something to also watch. I know I need to learn about this so I don't get taken. In Colombia you can find stuff, but they can really try to screw you up.

7. Battery banks. This subject is very difficult. I always thought that someone with the right knowledge can recycle batteries. Is this possible or am I in a dream land. Or are the new upcoming batteries are so great that is not worth trying to invent it all over again.

I have a lot more questions, so don't just read me and pass on.

Thank you every one.