EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-24-12, 07:41 AM   #61
Daox
Administrator

Well the January bill is in and wow its been warm! Only 1146 HDD vs 1370 last year and 1500+ the two previous years. Electric use is up quite a bit (16 kWh/day vs 9.4) due to the hot water heater still, but gas use is way down from previous years (3 therms/day vs 4.1). That means that overall energy usage is quite a bit down 104 kWh/day vs 129 kWh/day last year.

I still can't wait to get the solar hot water installed. That'll crush the electric hot water heater's power consumption and eat a decent chunk of the heating as well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	energyusage.jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	2037  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-12, 10:38 AM   #62
Daox
Administrator

Its been quite a while, so its time for an update. No real major changes have taken place, although for some reason our electric usage has continued to decline during summer which is great. This past month I was able to lower electricity consumption to an all time low since installing the electric on demand water heater. Last September I had used 502 kWh and its down to 336 this month.

I'm still looking forward to that solar hot water setup. That should lower that electric bill down quite a bit. I'm estimating a ~100 kWh drop in usage. This would put me back in line with how much electricity I was using in summer with my old gas water heater.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	energytracking.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	2485  

&
Old 12-20-12, 07:48 AM   #63
Daox
Administrator

This is the first full month after getting the office wall insulated. It looks like it has made a noticable difference. They key compairison is the "gas / hdd" column. Similar months with similar HDDs are highlighted below.

March 2011 - 994 HDD - 90 therms - .091 therms / HDD (had gas hot water heater at this time)
December 2011 - 1054 HDD - 85 therms - .081 therms / HDD (installed on demand electric water heater)
December 2012 - 971 HDD - 73 therms - .075 therms / HDD

So the change, while not huge, is probably proportional to the amount of wall area actually insulated. Good to see there is a positive and measurable effect though.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	887
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	2761  

&
Old 12-20-12, 08:51 AM   #64
Daox
Administrator

Woo, just remembered this brings us to the end of the 2012 billing cycle. I thought I'd post up my stats for the entire time I've owned the house. Below are the totals for each year I've been in the house. Thankfully there has been a nice steady progression in the right direction of less energy usage.

Of interest I think are:
- Max monthly cost: $328.52 from my first year in the house in winter
- Average monthly cost of $126.19
- This year has been substancially warmer than previous years

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	energy.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	2763  

&
Old 11-11-13, 11:27 AM   #65
Daox
Administrator

Its been a while since I updated this. Almost a year...

Anyway, here are the usage numbers for this part of 2013. Its been a pretty good year and I've been able to reduce my electricity consumption a very large amount. I think it helped that this year the summer was mild and I wasn't running fans like crazy. I also didn't even bother putting in the window A/C unit that normally goes in my bedroom window.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	energyusage.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	3627  

&
Old 12-20-13, 09:21 AM   #66
Daox
Administrator

I got my last energy bill for the year. Money wise, things went very well. Energy wise, my usage was up, mostly due to a much colder year (8100 vs 6600 HDDs). However, electric use was down a fair amount.

2013 Use stats:
8100 HDD
651 CDD
3408 kWh (9.2 kWh/day)
646 therms of NG (1.74 therms/day)
60.3 kWh/day average (includes gas use)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	energyuse.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	3777  

&
Old 02-24-14, 01:27 PM   #67
Daox
Administrator

It has been COLD so far this year. Colder by quite a bit than any other year. In January we averaged 50.1 HDD per day, and in February we averaged 54.9! The previous coldest month (since 2008) averaged 45.9. Still, despite this, my conservation efforts have triumphed, yay! My gas use per HDD has actually gone down a little bit from January to February with the reprogramming of my thermostat to drop down to 50F at night and when I am not home. It is 70F when I am at home, and it bumps up to 60F when I get up in the morning. So, this seems to be working quite well.

There was such a drastic difference in temperature, I started logging more info in my spreadsheet. I actually now have graphs charting the heating and cooling degree days (top chart), and the heating and cooling degree days per day (bottom chart). This really gives a GREAT visualization of how much energy is required to heat versus cool in my environment.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	energy_use.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	4083   Click image for larger version

Name:	hdd_cdd.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	4084  

&

Last edited by Daox; 02-24-14 at 01:31 PM..
Old 02-26-14, 08:55 PM   #68
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Doax,
How do you get your heating and cooling degree days? The numbers you are posting do not look like they came from a government chart. Are you calculating them?
philb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 07:37 AM   #69
Daox
Administrator

The heating and cooling degree days are listed on my monthly utility bill.

If you're looking to get them for any general area there is a great site to look them up:

Heating & Cooling Degree Days - Free Worldwide Data Calculation

&
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
philb (03-02-14)
Old 04-25-14, 12:33 PM   #70
Daox
Administrator

Another month, another bill. Thankfully this one is significantly smaller than last!

There is also a good comparison again with the new wifi thermostat. November and April have very close to the same heating degree days (24.5 / day vs 25.5). Despite slightly higher HDD, April had 11% lower gas usage than November! The only real change to the house during the time was the thermostat. In case you haven't noticed, I love the thermostat.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	746
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	4343  

&

Tags
track energy