EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-11, 04:43 PM   #1
blueox
Lurking Renovator

Default hello from WA

Hello All,
We just bought an open concept 50's ranch near the woods in WA. We like the uber modern look but only when its efficient. think Dwell when they do the budget stuff that still looks extreme. Much of our acre needs to be restored to natural habitat. We have a lot of wildlife here so the garden will need to be fenced.

The exterior of the home needs to be re clad. Currently we are working on changing the single pane ornamental glass with Thermogal Ice 25mm. (yes with oscillating led light strips) . Soon we will be re insulating some of the walls and putting in a heat pump. I will be using this site as a resource while I go. I will post pictures when I qualify.

I have a post in other about window blinds.

I look foreword to chatting with you guys,

-ry

blueox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 12:18 PM   #2
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Location: Driftless Region, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy,Virgo Supercluster

Welcome! Sounds like a nice project blueox. Considering you are residing, have you thought about adding extra foam insulation on the outside?
menaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 12:28 PM   #3
blueox
Lurking Renovator

I dont have enough information to make that decision. I had an insulation guy tell me that I couldn't do that but I haven't researched it myself. I currently have painted rough sawn pine siding. We are thinking of recovering half the house in metal, and the other half either in some sort of sustainable wood or wood like material. Do you think rigid a possibility?

As soon as I can post pics I will show you my ceiling too. I was told I couldn't insulate my vaulted ceiling without removing the roof. Maybe you guys know better. This forum is going to rule.

-Ry
Old 02-10-11, 02:07 PM   #4
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

The only real issue with insulating the outside of the house is all of the windows usually need to be removed and moved out due to the added depth if they currently sit flush. It adds a bunch of work to the job. I'd definitely put up with the extra work if you're going to be doing siding anyways though.

I've never heard of spray foam going on the outside but don't see why it would matter. Maybe trimming it flat would be hard? We've always used rigid and taped the joints. Probably cheaper, definitely easier and for most purposes it's virtually the same effectiveness.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 02:25 PM   #5
hotwire
Lurking Renovator

Hello from Vancouver. What part of Washington are you in? The East and Westsides of the state have different climates that should be taken into consideration when making decisions about exterior insulation.
hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 02:37 PM   #6
blueox
Lurking Renovator

Hey, We are on the West side.

Cant you seal moisture into your walls if you coat it with foam from the outside?
Old 02-10-11, 02:56 PM   #7
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

technically it would be sealed on both sides so no moisture will be getting into there. New wood of course is wet but I haven't been able to get a good answer as to why this isn't an issue
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 11:07 AM   #8
blueox
Lurking Renovator

Hey all,
Here is the house:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am really interested in getting advice about insulation but I am going to start a thread outside introductions.
-ry