EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-16, 06:29 PM   #1
jjackstone
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Affordable battery storage (used electric car batteries)

Hi folks,
I don't get around as often as I used too, but had recently been thinking about repurposing EV batteries for PV storage systems. Now I knew I couldn't have been the first to think of this so I did a little research and found this write up.

Use of Nissan Leaf battery in Solar installation. - My Nissan Leaf Forum

Early disclaimer: All the things written below are just ideas. No plans to implement at this time.

I have been reading about various people buying used leaf battery packs in the $2000-2500 range. IIRC the leaf has 24Kwh pack. this puts the cost of storage at about $100/kwh not including controls. That's not too bad. Obviously you would have to derate the pack based on age and mileage and the inevitable losses related to charging the pack, but still not terrible.

In my own case,I use 10-15 Kwh/day. I figured with 5kw of panels and 50 Kwhrs of battery that I could likely go offgrid for $10-15,000. The 50kwh should give 3-5 days autonomy. I'd probably use a car to charge the battery pack if things got desperate but could just pick up an inexpensive generator.I'm in central CA so we average 6-6.5 hours of good sun/day. Of course I would do all the installation myself. Used to do a bit of electrical work and picked up a EE along the way so I'm ok working with power and did enough construction work to build about anything I need.

You may think this is really low priced. It probably is. But I regularly see surplus panels for sale in the area for 50-70 cents/watt. So 5Kw might put me in the $3500 range. As I said before I see the battery packs go for say $2500 average. I would need two of them so call it $5000. I'm guessing I could come up with the controllers,chargers ,wiring, mounting supplies,etc. for under $5000. So that's about $13,500 with a couple grand of slop money.

Anyway, I mainly posted this for the article I linked to. Enjoy.
JJ

jjackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjackstone For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (03-01-16)