EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-12, 07:15 PM   #1
S-F
You Ain't Me

Default S-F's home Improvement Thread

I work every day of the week improving the energy efficiency of houses and other types of buildings such as college dorms and so forth. Recently we sprayed 2" of foam on the sheathing of a new science building for one of the local collages and then dense packed 24" of cellulose for example.

I am able an willing to document in detail many of the projects that ecorenovators partake in. I can make narratives, tutorials and also post detailed videos. If there is an interest I will do this.

This week I'm dense packing the walls and attic floor of an 1880's house (among other thing there) and could post an attic floor dense pack video or even a wall "drill 'n fill" dense pack video. If people are interested and show interest I'll do it.

Please chime in folks.

P.S. I'm appealing for company approval to start an official youtube channel for us that would be host to this information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."

Last edited by S-F; 06-18-12 at 07:47 PM..
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 12:06 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Sounds like a great idea to me. I know learning by video always seems a lot easier and usually quicker than reading a long article. Let us know how it goes with the company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 01:38 PM   #3
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I'd love to see that video.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 05:52 PM   #4
S-F
You Ain't Me

I got the go ahead from the board. They are interested in using some of the videos for training purposes since a lot of our guys are not overly skilled. My company is an extension of a social organization with the mission of supporting community development through providing life skills, work ethic and vocational training to inner city kids, so many of the employees aren't necessarily motivated to tighten up houses. The idea there is that the kids might be more interested in watching a video than listening to the instructions from the crew leader. They can take that sort of thing as a personal challenge.

If people make requests I will make these particular topics a priority and will record them as soon as I do such work again.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
Old 06-20-12, 02:24 PM   #5
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I'm also interested, not just for me but sometimes I want to show people what it takes to build or renovate to high-efficiency and it's helpful to have these resources.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 03:00 PM   #6
Daox
Administrator

I think how to use 2 part spray foam would be a great one. The equipment needed, techniques to use, etc.

&
Old 06-20-12, 03:05 PM   #7
S-F
You Ain't Me

That might not be too interesting for the DIY crowd as we have a 2 part rig that has an on board compressor, heater and uses a different kind of foam. I might be able to make a video of it the next time I do it on my own time but that only happens a couple of times a year. Really people should just follow what I wrote in my other thread. It's not too hard. It's just messy and expensive. Make sure the tanks are hot for several days so they heat all the way through.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-20-12, 04:34 PM   #8
SimpleManLance
Helper EcoRenovator

i would love to see these videos. i have a hard time comprehending things i read sometimes. videos help me to more understand. i would love to see your big foam rig in action just for a one time thing.

i had a company do foam insulation in my walls. this stuff looked like shaving cream. im curious to see what other foams are out there and how they get installed.
Old 06-20-12, 09:34 PM   #9
gibbings
Lurking Renovator

I would also appreciate seeing you in action. In a lot of cases, I find that videos can 'fill in the gaps' between pictures people have taken. It also helps to have an explanation of why jobs are completed the way they are.
Thank you for all your work on this forum so far.
gibbings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 10:28 AM   #10
Daox
Administrator

Any updates?

&