EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-14-13, 09:55 AM   #131
Daox
Administrator

More work was done this past weekend. I ran a duct from the main trunk of my furnace across to my sunroom which had no vent in it at all. So I can finally get some decent heat in there. I also started dry walling the ceiling. Its kind of starting to look like a real live room again. I'll really have to get pics up soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 08:55 PM   #132
Daox
Administrator

Woohoo, I finally got the pictures up.

I am no HVAC tech, but I figured I probably can't mess up the ducting any worse than it already is in the house... so I ran a 6" duct into my sunroom. This at least gets some forced air into the sunroom. Before this it only had the hydronically heated floors (which weren't being used) and I had to have the single vent from the office blowing through the door opening to keep the sunroom warm.

Here is the new duct that was run.

Here is the end of it. Ideally it probably should have been run farther into the room, that wasn't what I did because it would have been a ton harder to do due to space constraints.

And here is the drywalling on the ceiling and you can see the outer wall is already drywalled. Its starting to look like a room again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house 003.JPG
Views:	1482
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	3336   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 006.JPG
Views:	1648
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	3337   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 008.JPG
Views:	1256
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	3338  

&
Old 08-21-13, 01:02 PM   #133
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Looks nice. It's a really good thing my wife can't see those great looking french doors or she might be planning my next project for me.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 10:33 AM   #134
Daox
Administrator

Thanks. I'm really starting to look forward to this thing being done... Its been way too long.

&
Old 08-23-13, 10:51 AM   #135
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Don't I know it. I haven't finished my garage / workshop project yet. I call it my never ending project.
Old 09-24-13, 12:12 PM   #136
Daox
Administrator

Back to the office remodel again! I worked on drywalling the ceiling again last night and I'll be at it again tonight.

However, now I'm trying to figure out the floor heating ahead of time. I think my current setup idea is pretty good, but I am always willing to hear suggestions.

The floor will be hydronically heated via my solar hot water system (which isn't yet up) and probably will eventually have a boiler backup. This means it is designed with lower water temperatures in mind.

The current plan is to use 3/8" pex tubing in wood grooves on 6" centers with aluminum heat spreaders similar to this:

I will be running a few of the 3/8" lines in parallel to reduce the pumping power required for it. See more info here: http://ecorenovator.org/forum/renova...r-heating.html

I have about 1 3/8" of floor depth to match the other rooms. From top to bottom I have:

.56" bamboo flooring
~.02" heat spreader
.50" pex tubing
.25" XPS insulation for a thermal break (I assume I can get this via special order)
1.33" total thickenss

I am a little worried about how I'll lay out the tubing. With 6" on center tubing I have to either find 3/8" PEX with a 3" bend radius (typical is more like 4" according to pex universe), or make the tubing layout a little fancy.

&
Old 09-24-13, 02:12 PM   #137
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I am a little worried about how I'll lay out the tubing. With 6" on center tubing I have to either find 3/8" PEX with a 3" bend radius (typical is more like 4", or make the tubing layout a little fancy.

This should help. This way you only have 2 sharp U-turns, which can be 'fudged'.

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 09-24-13 at 02:21 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
Daox (09-24-13)
Old 09-24-13, 02:22 PM   #138
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

That diagram is remarkably similar to the pex layout in my garage / workshop, 'cept I have 3 loops instead of 4. Now, if I could only find the time/enthusiasm to complete it.
Old 09-26-13, 02:50 PM   #139
Daox
Administrator

I like that idea AC. I could even opt for a small 3-4 port manifold versus using tees. That would flow better.

&
Old 09-27-13, 01:13 AM   #140
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I like that idea AC. I could even opt for a small 3-4 port manifold versus using tees. That would flow better.
Yeah, I like this type of layout, too. It was one of our European EcoRenovators that suggested it to me.

The picture was the first one that I came across of the spiral setup.

Don't know if you recall, but there was a thermograph I posted of a radiant floor where the direction of flow alternated with each row. It had the most even thermal pattern.

Also, it's a good idea to have the warmest loop right next to the exterior wall, and work inwards, if you get my drift.

Puzzle time, for sure.

I'm not so terribly far behind you... I have just stripped all the lathe & plaster from my renovate-room. pretty much the same kind of project, only smaller scale, I'm pretty sure.

Best,

-AC

Tags
bamboo, diy, flooring, hydronic, remodel, superinsulate