EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-15, 09:44 AM   #1
barbara356
Lurking Renovator

Default LED light for commercial application

Hi everyone!
I need your advice about the outdoor lighting.
I need to find some solution for the commercial business.
I will extend my property and add one more barn. Currently, all my lighting is HPS, so I want to replace all lighting in my new barns and already built buildings.
I hope that the LED power savings will be more effective and it will pay for itself during the next years.
All in all, I need to change 30 lights in my property.

Please, can you advice the type of the LED, that will be the most reliable and effective? thanks!

barbara356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-15, 12:41 PM   #2
stevehull
Steve Hull

How many lumens do you need from each bulb? How lumens does each HPS bulb currently put out. Not the watts, but lumens.

Knowing the current light output (lumens) and need, allows us to respond appropriately.

Lastly, is the light adequate from the HPS bulbs - or do you need more (or less).

Steve
Old 11-03-15, 01:07 AM   #3
barbara356
Lurking Renovator

Hi Steve,
Actually, I do not know where to find information about lumens on my current lamps?
Old 11-03-15, 08:17 AM   #4
stevehull
Steve Hull

Get the model number from the bulb and look it up on internet. That will have the lumen output.

Steve
Old 11-03-15, 09:22 AM   #5
barbara356
Lurking Renovator

Default LED light for commercial application

Well, it seems like all my current bulbs have 1600 lumens
I am considering these wallpacks https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/l..._rab-lighting/

Will it be a good change instead of current lamps?
Old 11-03-15, 03:19 PM   #6
stevehull
Steve Hull

I believe the lights that you are looking at are only ten watts. I doubt that would give off 1600 lumens . . . .

Steve
Old 11-03-15, 03:44 PM   #7
Daox
Administrator

A 10W LED bulb is the equivalent of a 60W incandescent bulb. A 60W incandescent is roughly 800 lumens. So, you'd need 2x of the LED fixtures for every one you currently have. That is a pretty big guess for the money investment though. I'd much rather see something with an actual lumen rating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 08:02 PM   #8
JRMichler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

High pressure sodium lights are very efficient. The larger ones are more efficient than the best LED lights, so do not expect to get an energy savings by simply replacing HPS with LED.

The fixtures, on the other hand, may be a different story. Typical yard lights, such as the lights seen in every farm, put half of their light up into the sky. An efficient fixture puts all of its light down toward the ground. The simple test is to look at the light at night from a block away. If the fixture is bright, the efficiency is low. If you can barely see if it's on, it is efficient.

An efficient fixture puts 90% of the light down toward the ground. An inefficient fixture puts half the light into the sky, and less than half down toward the ground.

An inefficient fixture can be replaced with an efficient fixture that uses a bulb half the size (half the watts). You will get the same light on the ground, half the energy consumption, and eliminate the glare.
JRMichler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRMichler For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-04-15)
Old 11-04-15, 10:10 PM   #9
oil pan 4
Land owner

You need some one who actually done this.

In my work shop at work we replaced nine 400 watt mercury lamps with 8 cree 40 watt LED lamps as part of a trial. (one LED light fixture was dead on arrival)
The LEDs do not appear to be putting off as much light as the mercury lamps I think it will take more like 11 LED assemblies will replace all the light I had from nine 400w mercury lamps.
Also the shop is a lot cooler. So cool that I was asked how I fixed the air conditioner that has not worked in years.

I have not tried it yet but I don't think you can just stick a lower wattage bulb in a ballast made for a larger bulb with out changing that too. I only use mercury lamps not sodium.
The instructions that come with the new ballasts I replace say something to the effect that if you try to put a 250 watt bulb in a 400 watt ballast the 400 watt ballast will try to push 400 watts of power through the 250 watt bulb and burn it out a lot faster.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
JRMichler (11-05-15)
Old 11-05-15, 09:47 AM   #10
JRMichler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I'm not positively sure on this, but I think that mercury vapor bulbs gradually lose brightness as they age. While giving less light, they still draw the same power.

Look at the reflectors inside older light fixtures. If they are not shiny bright, part of the light is not reflected out. This further reduces the fixture efficiency.

My employer changed out all shop lighting fixtures several years ago. The new high efficiency fluorescent fixtures put out more light and use less electricity. They now need to run the heating system in cold weather, where before they were cooling almost all winter.

And Oil Pan is right, you must match the bulb to the ballast.

JRMichler is offline   Reply With Quote