EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-14, 05:10 PM   #11
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Wow, I just read the pdf write-up on the project. This thing should've been made by Halowell. They could call it "the cold climate clothes dryer v2"! Runs off R134a, has a flash tank and 2 electronic expansion valves, and an intermediate "vapor injection" line running from the flash tank to the compressor! In addition to massively oversized condenser and evaporator.

Definitely a prototype. My question is where did they find a wee-sized compressor with an intermediate pressure port? They reference a Sharp window a/c unit for parts, but there ain't no way it has an exotic compressor in it.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-14, 06:20 PM   #12
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Some high end mini splits have an economizer stage.
Old 02-13-14, 07:02 PM   #13
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug30293 View Post
Last year I put a box fan in the area where we hang clothes. It is tipped up at about 45 degrees into the clothes and runs on low (about 60W).

The fan cuts drying time to less than half and completely eliminates any musty smell... I suggest trying the box fan if drying indoors. The difference is amazing.
I'll EcoRenovate you up one notch, I've been working on my solar dryer version 2. I've got a 20W 12V PV panel with a charge controller attached to a 17Ah battery. I have that coupled to a set of three 6W 12V muffin fans ($5 each). These fans move 130cfm per fan. I've been meaning to build a rig that will hang them so they draw air from the warmest part of the room (the ceiling), and blow it straight down across a row of clothes hanging on hangers on a clothes rod.

Now you see why I have been investigating a HP water heater: It'll lower the consumption off my PV system, and extract the extra moisture out of my house, while it heats my water to wash another load of clothes. I live in a prime location to run a solar water heater, but that won't dehumidify the house as a side effect.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-14, 09:06 PM   #14
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I seen some through lg . Ive gotta buy a dryer pretty soon. If a heat pump one uses 1/3 the electricity a regular old one does itd be worth it.
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 03:23 AM   #15
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

The article states a 2.2 year ROI vs running a straight electric clothes dryer. It uses ~1100 watts vs 4000+ watts for straight electric.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
Daox (02-14-14), nokiasixteth (02-14-14)
Old 02-14-14, 07:00 PM   #16
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Where did you guys buy the heat pump dryers . I checked lowes. They dont have them or would you need to order one
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-14, 08:16 PM   #17
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

I bought mine online, I forgot exactly where. They're still a niche product so don't expect to find one in a local store. Or you can go the DIY route of hacking a window A/C or dehumidifier into a clothes dryer. (Actually, a dehumidifier blowing into a closet makes a pretty good dryer, no modding required.)
Old 02-15-14, 01:37 PM   #18
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
The article states a 2.2 year ROI vs running a straight electric clothes dryer. It uses ~1100 watts vs 4000+ watts for straight electric.
ROI is less than 1 year for switching to a gas dryer in most areas, yet few do it even when a gas connection is avaible. Our local gas company even gives a $400 rebate, making the gas dryer cost $300 LESS than electric. Yet gas dryers remain a special order item, and people don't want to wait 2 weeks for it to come in.

The big bonus for the heat pump dryer is retrofit situations and for renters. No venting required, and can run on a standard 120v outlet. Lower installation costs and more compatibility is what will make the HP dryers sell.

Energy is currently too cheap for most people to care much about energy bills. First cost of the appliance gets more weight vs. lifetime cost of ownership. Look a cell phone contracts, people willing to pay $100/mo for 2 years vs. $50/mo no contract just to get the "free phone" that ends up costing closer to $1,200.
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-14, 03:17 PM   #19
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Yes, I agree that most cannot see past the purchase price, even when the long-term payout is far greater. As with the natural gas fracking craze and its temporarily low price (but why didn't propane prices drop with LNG prices, they both come from the same source? Hmmm...), hopefully some of us ecorenovators will choose this option. Eventually, natural gas prices will increase to levels a decade ago, after the oil industry has riddled all the lands U.S. landowners will agree to abandon.

Actually, with the latest fad from the manufacturers (stainless steel units that look more like the triple-loaders at the laundromat), the price gap should narrow a bit. One can easily spend in excess of $1000 on an electric dryer to match the $1000+ washer that looks just like it. Just look up Maytag Neptune or anything Samsung or Bosch. I imagine the markup on these units is high enough that a manufacturer could produce a heat pump unit the same size for not much more.

Last edited by jeff5may; 02-15-14 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: words
Old 02-15-14, 03:27 PM   #20
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
Where did you guys buy the heat pump dryers . I checked lowes. They dont have them or would you need to order one
The same place as the heat pump water heaters. If the local store actually has ONE in stock, besides the display, consider yourself lucky. Like the furniture warehouse, they may offer free delivery in three to seven days. Straight from the warehouse in (insert nearest mega-city here). Amazon probably has one closer, unless you live in (same as before).