EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-13, 04:18 AM   #1
launboy
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Pool Heater for Air

This may fit better in the solar forum, but it could implement a heat pump which puts it here too.

I currently have 180,000 BTU worth of solar pool heating collectors up on my garage roof, and another 60,000 btu panel not mounted. Considering putting it on my shed, possibly "glazing" it with two glass doors my dad garbage picked, and hooking it up to either a small dehumidifier turned heat pump, or directly to an old car radiator we have laying around. This would mainly be proof of concept, but I believe it has potential.

Properly set up I would get a 55 gal drum, or old water heater and use that as a receiver which I could heat if necessary, and run this as a drain-back system with antifreeze, as it gets cold in WI and I wouldn't heat the shed all the time.

Anyone ever heard of someone using solar pool panels for space heating? I couldn't find anything when I Googled it. Theoretically, I have 240,000 btu pf panels, and a house that is heated by a properly sized 60,000 btu nat gas furnace. The capacity is there in ideal conditions, but with these types of panels it drops off significantly with wind or cold outdoor temps, hence the "glazing" with glass doors.

Found a new project for the next two weeks.

Adam

launboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 07:51 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

I think the problem with pool heaters is that they can't handle high temperatures like DHW solar panels can. So, unless you have a way to keep them cool they will end up aging very quickly at the least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 07:26 PM   #3
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Yup, as Daox said, too hot a temp and the panels will melt. Been there ....done that.....bought new panels

Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote