EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-12-08, 02:52 PM   #1
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default hello from lower mid michigan

Hi, I heard about this site from Daox at ecomodder.com.
Here's some info on my homestead:
I have 10 acres of weeds and a 2500 sqft tri-level home. I park my geo metro in a 30x40 pole barn.
It was built around 1970 and is heated primarily with a propane boiler with 5 zones (1 for heating each level, 1 for a "boilermate" water heater, and 1 unused). The house was originally heated with base board electric, and still has a few of them left. I also burn lots of wood in a Lopi woodburning insert located in the lowest level.

The average annual heating degree days for my area is around 7000. I currently can go just over a year between propane tank fills. It's a 500 gallon tank but we usually use around 375 gallons/yr. I use the base board electric at times and portable electric space heaters for ultra zone heating alote. Lately electric heat has been competative with propane for cost in my area. Last year we burned around 13 face cords of wood. The propane t-stats are usually in the mid 50f range and if we want warmer we burn wood and electricity. My wife hates it every winter .
My land is setup well for a wind turbine and has a good area for solar exposure south of the house. The prevailing winds have no obstructions for almost a mile behind my yard. I plan to be using both sources of alternative energy in a DIY fashion. A small PV array is almost ready to start pushing power back into the grid, and 90% of the materials are waiting for me to finish a 7000 btu air heating panel. I've always thought about building some kind of DIY wind turbine and that will be a future project.

Last edited by jwxr7; 01-07-09 at 08:06 AM..
jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 03:18 PM   #2
SVOboy
Administrator

Welcome to EcoRenovator! Great to see you here,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 04:48 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Welcome. Sounds like a nice place you got there. I love the open space. Excellent for wind or solar!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 06:00 PM   #4
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The downside to the open west is the extra cooling effect in the winter. I've lived here for 9 years now and in the first few years I planted close to 100 evergreen trees in rows for wind blocks. The deer and rabbits took out at least 1/4 of them and deformed many more, now the ones that didn't get chewed on or rubbed are getting tall enough to start helping. Too bad I wasn't able to protect them all.
Old 12-13-08, 08:30 PM   #5
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I'll put together some threads and pics of some of my current projects when I get time at work (hi-speed connection).

Last edited by jwxr7; 07-15-10 at 07:01 AM..