EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-17, 10:40 PM   #21
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

That little pump probably only makes 2 lpm at 200 feet so it would be good for a thirst quencher or light duty use. I think it runs on 80 watts.

This below pump has better performance and runs on more wattage

Kary 400 Feet Head 3.5 Inches 24v 36v DC Brushless Submersible Solar Powered Water Pump for Deep Well, Max Power 860w, Max Flow 9GPM

Dimension:
Total length: 25.6"
Max diameter: 90mm(almost 3.5")
Outlet port diameter: 32mm
Net weight: 5.8kg(12.8lb)
Gross weight: 6.4kg(14.1lb)

Installation
1. This pump is a solar powered water pump, 36v is ideal input voltage. The solar panels' power should be 1.5~2 times bigger than the pump. 2 or 3 pcs 12 volts batteries connected in series also can be power source.
2. Connect the pump to solar panels directly, if the total length of the cable between pump and solar panel is longer than 100ft, we strongly recommend 9 or 8AWG wire.
3. Safety rope or wire is very important for deep well pumps, because the safety rope or cable will be the only way to retrieve the pump from the bottom of the well, we recommend a good stainless steel cable rather than rope.
4. If your solar panel kit is not powerful enough and you don't want to add more, a couple of 12v batteries is a good option, they can help to hold the input voltage above the "low voltage cut off point", however, sufficient solar panels is still the best power source.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ecomodded; 10-22-17 at 11:30 PM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 08:20 AM   #22
oil pan 4
Land owner

Hey I was probably looking at that same one on ebay last night. Well a 24v verson.
I looked at some 48v ones and they were expensive.

A lot of the smaller ones were designed to be hooked straight to a panel. I would have to have on demand and therefor powered by battery.
800+ watts is way too much the small charge controller I would be using.
So what I would do to keep from killing the batteries is use the DC output on the charge controller to power a contactor when water is needed.then when battery voltage drops below 11 volts the contactor won't close. Batteries only get slightly over drawn, not killed totally dead.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 09:11 AM   #23
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

And once you know your system you will know you have say 3 hours of pumping ready and can use 2 1/2 hrs to play it safe.
That 36v version of the pump costs around $250 on Amazon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-23-17, 10:06 AM   #24
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

For that sort of distance, wiring loss is going to be a problem at low voltages. Do they make small 3 phase well pumps that can be run off a small VFD?
Old 10-23-17, 10:36 AM   #25
oil pan 4
Land owner

If I do solar the well house will have its own solar. So very short runs for DC, 500ft or so if I run single phase out there.
Old 10-24-17, 05:23 PM   #26
WisJim
Helper EcoRenovator

I have friends who collect rainwater for all their water needs at their off-grid Minnesota home. Rainwater Harvesting - A WebsiteBuilder Website
WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 05:33 PM   #27
oil pan 4
Land owner

I will mass murder birds if I start getting bird poop in my water. But I have a hot shinny roof like on the MN water collecting Web page so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-24-17, 07:47 PM   #28
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Nice thing about well water is no bird poop it should be drinkable right out of the tap

Old 10-24-17, 08:28 PM   #29
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
So I am considering rain water catching.
My parents have been living on rainwater harvesting for a number of years now. They have had many many many issues and my dad has worked through them. He is a multi-disciplined engineer, so it is not a backwoods redneck system he has put together! My dad wrote a book on his system: https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Potabl...g+daniel+brown

If you are truly serious about doing this, my dad has consulted a few people on their installation, and is currently wrapping up a complete system installation now. PM me and I will give you his contact information.

He is currently re-writing his book with some major improvements that he has now incorporated, so I am unsure if you should order the book just yet.
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-17, 01:34 AM   #30
oil pan 4
Land owner

The municipal water system in town is crumbling.
They fix a leak and where they fixed it starts leaking again a few days or weeks later.
They have had 2 large street flooding water main blow outs just this year that I know of.

Well water is nice but it's very hard here. It turns dishes in the dish washer white with minerals.
And to add 40 to 60 operating psi in top of water colum pressure and I'm looking at spending up to 2 mega watt hours per year just pumping water, just for me and my wife, not watering anything.

Tags
cistren, rain water