Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-13, 09:31 PM   #11
WattWatcher
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
Ventilation will keep indoor humidity down if the outdoor dew point temperature is at least 20 deg F lower than the inside temperature. For example, the outdoor dewpoint right now is 58 deg F at the Oakland airport. If the indoor temperature is below 78 deg F, the house will be humid inside. If the house is poorly ventilated, it will be even more humid inside.

If the outdoor dewpoint reaches 70 deg F, the house will be a swamp inside. The solution is a dehumidifier. No need for ductwork, just put it anywhere in the house and set it for about 50% RH.
I know nothing about dew point and humidity, but I have read that HVRs can make a damp interior drier. Obviously I have to educate myself about this topic. So, why would my house be drier, while the cottage is damp, since they both experience the same climate? Doesn't infiltration have something to do with that? Right now, the dewpoint in Berkeley is 56F and it's 68F in my house, but I don't think it's really humid in here. This is all very interesting!

I think the problem with dehumidifiers is that they use a lot of energy, like hundreds of watts.

WattWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
erv, heat recovery, hrv