EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-17, 09:00 AM   #11
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Double post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ecomodded; 08-18-17 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: db post
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 09:48 AM   #12
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Here's the money shot , got lucky with the rot the far left beam is made of 12x12s nailed together luckily only the outside 12x12 had rot so was cut off and replaced. The header was still good although we added a 2nd one below it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1178.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	520.2 KB
ID:	7861  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-17, 09:14 PM   #13
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Wood floors have a bit of bounce making them nice to walk on.

Back on track with the ICF house

Im thinking of putting the plumbing electrical and ventilation all under a wood floor on a 2.5' crawl space with enough room to shimmy under to hook things up. I'll make the walls 10 feet high and boom the crawl space is there and the floor can have R40 of fiberglass insulation.

The fiberglass will allow for access for repairs and upgrades

Some ball park costs so far for a 1000 sq.ft house

31 sheets minimum x $50 ea. = $1550 without cut losses

R40 insulation = about $1750

2x 12's including making beams 50 pieces at $30 for kiln dried 2 x 11 1/4 = $1500

So far that's $4800 plus assorted flooring, Berber my choice of carpet cost $1.39 sq.ft = $1400

With taxes the floor is about $7000 , without the hardware or nails.

Footing's

12"h x 18"w footings 8.5 m3 concrete =$2000

Roof Im thinking will be a flat concrete roof with a slope to the rear of the house for water collection and prevent pooling.

Costs unknown

Nudura makes forms for flat roofs but so do other companies I will study up on it this week.

I will seek out the price of forms and post what I find

So far
$10,000 for 6 inch concrete walls plus tax = $12000
$2000 for the footings
$7000 for the floor

So $21,000 without forms a roof windows doors electrical or plumbing

I guesstimate the roof and wall forms will cost about $20,000, its a uneducated guess

I'll email the company and get the straight goods

The Following User Says Thank You to ecomodded For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (08-19-17)
Old 08-19-17, 02:25 AM   #14
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

And off track again thought I would add the last inbetween photo for your entertainment.
This is after the rotted section of board was replaced , be best to turn up the brightness level to view it

I cut it off in prep for the carpenter cut it up and hired a hauler to take it to a wood dumpster to become hog fuel for the local mill.

I will not be doing this with my next house !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1179.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	507.1 KB
ID:	7865  

Old 08-19-17, 07:11 AM   #15
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

What are you going to do with the sliding glass door above what used to be a garage kickout with a balcony? If I ever did that, someone (a kid or the wife) would unlock the thing, walk out, and end up broken below. In fact, I could see my kids putting a mattress or two in the driveway and jumping out intentionally!
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 09:45 AM   #16
celblazer
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
In fact, I could see my kids putting a mattress or two in the driveway and jumping out intentionally!
The heck with kids, that sounds fun at my old age. LOL
celblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to celblazer For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (08-19-17)
Old 08-19-17, 10:28 AM   #17
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Hey Jeff , I was worried about that too so nailed up two cedar boards to remind people the decks off limits. Any photos without the boards is when it was being torn off. Im putting a 5' x 3'6" tall slider window in its place. The dinning room table is behind the slider and its way to exposed to the road so Im going with a shorter window.

The shorter window will increase the privacy which I'm hoping will help sell the house. People are suggesting I put a 5x 4'6" or 5x5 in , I think not.

Old 08-19-17, 11:46 AM   #18
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I can't / don't believe the concrete walls only cost $10 $12 grand it feels like I made a error somewhere.

I made a error with the footings forgot to add in the inside wall footing length of 65 feet , thats a extra $1000

3 grand in footings and 10-12 grand in walls , maybe its right.

I'm going to recheck

Old 08-20-17, 12:04 AM   #19
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

The manufacturer Brock White has a warehouse 2 1/2 hours drive from home.
The website said they have everything at the warehouse you would need for a start to finish job. They have a course where they teach you what they can then set you up with a contractor to do a build to get acquainted with it.
So its a pretty in depth process they don't have any prices I didn't see any mention of kits.

I emailed and asked for a quote

Glad Im looking into this now

Old 08-20-17, 09:28 AM   #20
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

To most manufacturers in the building industry, the idea of a kit is blasphemy. Using words like that invite the inexperienced and unskilled. Instead, they use words such as "turnkey solution" or "total system". These phrases suggest a more involved and professional product. Just ask your carpenter what he thinks about "custom kits" vs building solutions and you will get an earful if he has any amount of self worth.

It is a very good idea to find a wholesale supply house or three close to you to source your materials. In nearly all cases, these distributors are connected at some level. In the interest of saving money on logistics, be very thorough and intensive on your upfront architecture and bill of materials. This way, the supply house can ship you (or you can go to them and load) 102 percent of what you need during a particular phase of the project. The extra 2 percent of materials gives you a tiny margin for error and wastage of materials, so if you are not overly confident of any element of the project, ORDER EXTRA! If the supply house won't take the leftovers back, believe this: there is SOMEONE NEAR YOU who will scarf up your leftovers with gratitude. TODAY. now (or as fast as they can).

Many of these manufacturer authorized resellers and distribution representative hubs have a complete staff of sales managers and building scientists on site to iron out details of projects before loads are shipped. Many of these pros are required to maintain state or national licenses in the disciplines they serve. They all know each other in the industry, so having the supply warehouse assemble your order at an unknown (to you and I) location less than 10 miles away from your job site is another option that may exist. The manufacturers have the logistics all worked out for projects large and small to source, deliver and store materials at your leisure. All the stuff goes off the BOM under the same project, so the shipping and volume discounts add up with each other.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote