Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Tools
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-19-15, 11:07 PM   #11
sunspot
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Have you any ideas for the pressure tank ? I was thinking one of the emergency plastic gas tanks might work , although the psi may blow the caps off .. not sure,
To provide pressure relief a 60 psi or so pressure relief valve could be used.

whats your plan for the tank ?
60 psi in a flat sided plastic tank? Hmmm... I think it'd look like a beach ball at 3 psi.

sunspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-15, 04:01 AM   #12
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

as much fun as it would be to build a battery powered squirt gun to use for "cleaning" :-) the garden sprayer would work better/ more efficiently, with better flow and would still end up being cheaper. They usually start around $12.
hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hamsterpower For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (01-26-15)
Old 01-20-15, 06:10 AM   #13
goblinsly
Lurking Renovator

I might do a small prototype of this project for starters. A big soda bottle will do, will have to check what pressure i can supply, around 100psi should be safe. I will add bicycle valve, i am sure i got some lying around. Will post results here
goblinsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-15, 08:12 AM   #14
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Gas tanks are somewhat thick , perhaps my suggestion is as well !
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 09:57 PM   #15
oil pan 4
Land owner

If you could find a pressurized water fire extinguisher that would work.
They can dump about 4 gallons of water in less than a minute.
That first gallon goes in a few seconds with 110psi of air pushing on it.
I don't know how much they cost because I pick them up from the scrap yard for almost nothing.
You pressurize these fire extinguishers through what looks like a tire fill valve so you don't even need a motorized air compressor, a human powered unit will do.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (01-23-15)
Old 01-28-15, 04:07 PM   #16
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I like this 12v Sprayer it runs at 80psi uses 12v 5A.

Not to bad of a squirt gun either , one could make a back pack version and win all the summer water fights if not cause a few..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-15, 04:15 PM   #17
goblinsly
Lurking Renovator

And this is running of batteries ? My god, this is amazing ! Wish i could do something like this myself, i dont want to pay 40 bucks. But if you said it runs at 80 psi .... I have a pump that can can go up to 100 psi. So if i were to fill a big bucket with 100 psi ( maybe half water half air, or maybe some other better mixture ), and if i were to turn on the pump, and spray at the same time, i think the effect would be similar ? Ofcourse the pump is slow but hey i can always stop and use the sponge some more ( after i remove soap i see some more dirt for instance ). I cant wait to start this project, on 18.2. i will start it
Old 01-28-15, 08:12 PM   #18
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I imagine the person washing the car has is plugged into the dashboard 12v power port.
A small car battery would work fine for its power source, or a ATV or Jet Ski Gel battery.

It has a pressure valve that shuts off the pump at 115 psi when the flow is turned off , Its working pressure is 80 psi @ 5L/ min.

Your bucket would have to hold 80 psi of air if you want that pressure. Which your bucket won't , so you would need a pressure tank capable of holding that air pressure.

I just bought it off eBay for $16

here is the listing title if your interested in one for yourself

DC 12V 5L/min 60W Micro Diaphragm High Pressure Water Pump Reflux Valve Warranty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-15, 08:17 PM   #19
goblinsly
Lurking Renovator

Thank you,

Btw i was just wondering. This pump of yours is water pump, 12V with 5L of water per minute, 60W. My air pump is 9.6V with 7L of air per minute and about 60W aswell.

So what i am wondering now how would those 2 compare. Your pump would be pumping water under pressure while my pump would be suplying air unto the tank, putting pressure in thus pushing water out. Since the pumps are of similar strength is it possible the result would be similar? Or would air pumps performance be very bad since it is made for a completely different thing. Now i am really interested how those 2 concepts compare. I plan to make a small test with soda bottle, i know those things can hold pressure well, should be ok for a small scale setup. As for a big scale, hell, i could get me a gas tank, fill it with insane amount of pressure and then i am sure it would be enough to clean a car, not just a bike :P
Old 01-28-15, 08:57 PM   #20
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I don't think your pump will make 100 psi with every stroke of its piston ,*most* air pumps build the pressure over time , so I think it will build up the pressure to hit 100 psi , not instantly like a high pressure water pump does . I think you will be waiting for the tank to pressurize after releasing some water.

Although in a small enough container it may well keep up. You will have to test it to know for sure what the pump can do as I am more or less guessing. Even a water pump needs to build pressure or be restricted to achieve the pressure so your air pump may work the same if the flow is restricted.