EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 05-04-12, 08:00 AM   #11
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Voltex® Hybrid Electric Heat Pump - Water Heaters Residential by A. O. Smith looks o have all of the documents you might need to plan your install before buying anything, they even have a video you can download on how to install it!
My understanding of course is that the heat pump water heaters are more or less designed to be a drop in replacement for an electric water heater, to keep the pipes from vibrating while the compressor is running you might think about using flex lines to connect to the incoming and out going water lines in the house, this should also make hooking up the water heater a bit easier.
Also, if you don't have a shut off valve now is the time to install one, installing it on the cold water side is most common, die-electric unions are also a good idea if you have any copper pipe in your house because the tank tends to be cast iron and of course any time you connect iron pipe to copper you need a die-electric union or you will create a battery in the pipes and the iron will get eaten away.

Assuming that everything is in good shape, you should be able to turn off the water and power, pull your old water heater, hook the new one up, plumb in the drain and be done within a few hours, the hard part is hauling the nearly 400 pound water heater around.

Last edited by Ryland; 05-04-12 at 08:03 AM..
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 12:25 PM   #12
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

definitely remember the die-electric unions. The previous owners installed my current tank with standard galvanized unions between the tank and the copper. The unions don't look great but the tank connectors are rusted beyond recognition. The tank is 6 years old according to warranty dates....
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 09:03 AM   #13
cholcombe
Helper EcoRenovator

Yeah I'm with you guys. DIY all the way! I'm putting in the order tonight I think. Then I just need to figure out how to properly size the expansion tank and which condensate pump to buy and I'll be good to go. Thanks for the tip on the dielectric union and the shutoff valve. I looked through the docs on hotwater.com and I thought haha.. this isn't a big deal. I bet that plumber just didn't want to do the job. Oh well... his loss.
cholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 10:57 AM   #14
Daox
Administrator

Expansion tank? Did I miss something? I thought this was just for domestic hot water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 11:22 AM   #15
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Expansion tank? Did I miss something? I thought this was just for domestic hot water.
It's a new requirement in some areas but mostly a recommendation to keep pressure from building up in the water pipes if you use up all of the hot water then turn everything off while it reheats, in reality it doesn't seem to be much of an issue that I've heard of yet.

Here is an Expansion Tank Calculator using one should also help dampen the effects of water hammer in your pipes.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-07-12)
Old 05-07-12, 04:13 PM   #16
cholcombe
Helper EcoRenovator

Exactly. It was just a recommendation in the install manual. I was planning on following it. I was planning on ordering it tonight. I'll shoot some pictures for you guys Thanks for all the help. I'm feeling confident about this.
cholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 11:53 PM   #17
Gator Air & Energy, LLC
GatorDone

Talking Works great in Florida

Excited about installing my Rheem Ecosense heat pump water heater I purchased on closeout from Home Depot for only $524.00 The local utility company rebate went up from $300 to $500. I purchased a State brand 3 months ago for $1,500. They are dumping them now because no one understands the technology. The drawback I see is that they (mine) can be noisy- glad its in my garage. Great having a cool garage this summer, and my electric bill is down $30 a month. Running the condensate line can be a pain on these units, if I can find a quiet one that can go in a living space, it would also provide cold air for the house in the summer. Looking forward to seeing how quiet the Rheem one is compared to the state. I've heard people have had them in their kitchens here in Florida, providing cold air in the summer. I'm sure you'd want to switch it back to electric in the winter though.

Gator Air & Energy, LLC is offline   Reply With Quote