EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-28-10, 06:37 PM   #1
trikkonceptz
Helper EcoRenovator

Default The Bedfan Experiment

Well in my quest to lower my power usage at home I came across a product that shows some promise. It's called a bed fan; Night Sweats - Sleeping Hot - Sweating at Night | The BedFan Cools

The premise, by keeping you cool under the sheets you will need less air conditioning to keep you cool above the sheets.

I agree with a lot of what they say, why cool an entire house to cool the room you sleep in. In addition despite it being cool outside your sheets, your body heat is what makes you uncomfortable forcing you to make the house cooler.

Shipped to my door it was $94

If I can keep the home 5 - 7 degrees warmer during the night then I may call this a success. Once it arrives I will begin the documentation and post the results of my electric bills.

My next investment / project: a Dehumidifier, my house gets so humid the tiles become slimy... but I digress, one mod at a time to track results properly .. wish me luck.

Bed Fan with Wireless Remote

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51hLZikqzxL._SY355_.jpg
Views:	2236
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	4000  

Last edited by Daox; 02-11-14 at 12:37 PM..
trikkonceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-10, 10:12 PM   #2
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Looks like it would be possible to build your own for $20 or so of all new parts - a PC fan or two connected to a power supply. Actually, I already have such a setup, using a fan that is too slow for a modern PC.
Old 08-29-10, 08:57 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Interesting setup. It sounds like it would work good if you don't mind the movement of air over you. It might take some getting used to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 11:39 AM   #4
trikkonceptz
Helper EcoRenovator

Building one would not be difficult, however, making the housing for the air to travel and the supporting hardware to attach it to the bed and keep it in place would make the venture to time consuming with unknown results.

I am far from able to just throw away $100 right now, but this calculated risk could seriously pay off when I consider how much power it takes to keep my house cool at night knowing I just really need 2 rooms kept cool.

Sometimes its better to simply support the pioneers that started the same way as you did NihaoMike, rather than reinvent their device just to save a buck or two.
Old 08-30-10, 09:20 AM   #5
WD-40
Lurking Renovator

While its an interesting concept .. have any of you ever looked under your beds.. its a nightmare of dust bunnies the size of cats in my house.
I wouldn't want any of the dust and crap thats under my bed to get blown into my bed.
And I don't see anyone volunteering to clean it up on a regular basis .. I think this needs a serious rethink as to the air source. Just my 2 cents worth.
WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 09:38 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

Haha, while that may be true, I'm sure its not much hassle to clean under the bed a little.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-10, 10:58 AM   #7
trikkonceptz
Helper EcoRenovator

I see your concern, however, my floors are wood, we found an interesting invention called swiffer, which keeps the dust bunnies away. Besides you can turn the unit and face the fans out and draw air from th "clean side" of your bed as well.

I am anxiously awaiting the device .. more reports to come ..
Old 08-30-10, 12:52 PM   #8
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

It's a good idea to move the air that is under your bed, otherwise you do get dust build up, you also loose alot of water while you sleep (if I remember correctly it's about a quart of water) all of that is going in to your bedding, so even if you can move the air under your bed in the day time it will help it to dry out and feel cooler at night, this is part of why you shouldn't place a mattress directly on a floor or on a solid platform, you need that air movement.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 08:56 AM   #9
WD-40
Lurking Renovator

Ok what about the wife with smelly feet ..or the husband that farts all night ... all that lovely smell being forced up to your nose .. mmmm
Another issue is allergy to dust etc. My wife sleeps with her head completely under the covers at night so all the air will be in her face.
I'm being serious here this can be an issue thats real in my case anyway.
The Idea is good but the implementation needs more thought.
maybe use the fan in reverse at the foot of the bed and have air input from say midway on the sides.
I'm just saying is all.
WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 11:27 AM   #10
trikkonceptz
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD-40 View Post
Ok what about the wife with smelly feet ..or the husband that farts all night ... all that lovely smell being forced up to your nose .. mmmm
Another issue is allergy to dust etc. My wife sleeps with her head completely under the covers at night so all the air will be in her face.
I'm being serious here this can be an issue thats real in my case anyway.
The Idea is good but the implementation needs more thought.
maybe use the fan in reverse at the foot of the bed and have air input from say midway on the sides.
I'm just saying is all.

No I think the product is sound, logical and a great idea to cut cooling costs. The problem with this device is your circumstance and well everything cannot accomodate everyone. Some of us will just have to suffer with higher electric costs.

Fortunately, our feet dont' smell we are not individuals with allegies, we keep a clean home, we don't fart all night and have a serious need to reduce our energy costs. Its the perfect tool for us...