EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-08, 12:12 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Attic door/access insulation

I've read that a large amount of heat can be lost simply through the attic access in most houses. They usually aren't sealed or insulated which leaves a semi closed, but gaping hole insulation wise.

After I am done with insulating the attic I am planning on building something around the access to insulate it. I also picked up some weather stripping material to go on the door itself to seal it from air leaks.

What have you guys done? Pictures would be great as I'm still comming up with ideas on insulating the access.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 07:32 AM   #2
Tony Raine
Helper EcoRenovator

huh, i never thought about that.

right off the top of my head, maybe get some of that thick, hard foam insulation. cut it out in pieces to fit in between/around the ladder mounts on the inside. the pieces in between the upper ladder rungs (the ones mounted solid to the access door), could be tricky. maybe some velcro on those blocks so you can take them off when you need the ladder.
Tony Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-08, 06:30 PM   #3
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

I've seen a "kit" at lowes for just this.

I've also seen a pink styrofoam lid for them that was super cool. I don't see them online . . . The ones at my local lowes are 1 piece.

Here's one Energy Guardian Access Hatch Insulation System - For Standard Attic Hatches - This item ships for free. - Energy Guardian Insulated Access Hatches But you could just build one like that . . .
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-09, 02:37 PM   #4
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Late last winter I got to thinking about this subject. I have 2 attics because it's a tri-level, so 2 doors to lose heat from. Neither were insulated, so I bought some 1 or 1.5" pink insulation board and cut several layers to fit the back sides of the door. I used long screws with fender washers to keep them in place, but some kind of construction adhesive would be good too. The foam fit tight enough into the doorways that it should have sealed most air leaks too. Weather stripping the edges would be a good upgrade later.

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote