EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 04-10-13, 10:05 AM   #11
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

Yeah, we are still on the hunt. There are too few fixer uppers around and they want astronomical prices...

Old 05-23-13, 08:37 PM   #12
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

So... We had our offer accepted! So if the inspection passes, pictures will be posted, questions will be asked!
Old 05-24-13, 07:33 AM   #13
Daox
Administrator

Very cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 04:00 PM   #14
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

Inspection negative. The inspector said it was a "lipstick" renovation. It had rotten joists, aluminum wiring, etc. Back on the hunt.
Old 06-07-13, 08:31 AM   #15
Daox
Administrator

Doh. Well, at least the money on the inspection was well spent!

&
Old 06-07-13, 01:07 PM   #16
Mobile Master Tech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

More important than what shape a house is in, is if its price fairly reflects its current condition, the "bones" are good, and that the house can be reasonably modded to be what you want. Building from scratch is best, but you can probably get 85% as efficient and featured as you want while using an existing house.

You may not be able easily change wall structure and insulation, but you can upgrade windows (biggest envelope energy loss), ductwork/mechanical (the surface area of the ductwork in most homes is 1/3 of the floor square footage and is probably R6 max and leaks 25%), use the inside wall surface as your infiltration barrier by sealing gaps at electrical boxes and chases, etc.

Example: In my 5BR/3.5BA Atlanta tract-built home, I retrofitted staple-up hydronic heating and a 98% efficient Eternal water heater, replaced 2 10 SEER A/C units with a 23SEER Nordyne variable speed unit with ductwork improvements(details posting soon), installed an asphalt Energy Star rated roof detailed IN THIS THREAD, and generally plugged up leaks and installed efficient little stuff. Even though I am now heating & cooling 50% more square footage including the basement AND the garage, I dropped my gas usage about half and my electricity usage by 2/3, with more room to go!! I'm now within reach of firing my energy utilities and using an off-grid solar PV/heat and geothermal system to completely cover my energy needs!

My roof is HOA approved, cost no more than basic asphalt shingles, and is nearly as heat reflective as any non-white metal roof.

Take your time, find a house whose unchangeable features are mostly what you want-layout, location, HOA membership required or not, etc. Then make it what you want, one step at a time.
Old 06-07-13, 01:46 PM   #17
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

LOL, so currently I am having to deal with replacing the roof on the house I own in Mobile, AL, I have been google searching to no avail (I guess the site structure recently changed??) where in the heck I saw roofing tiles that were cooler than normal (House has no current AC). I saw I had a response to my thread, click it and its you with a link to the exact thing I was searching for!!! Thanks for chiming in. And I'm not giving up just yet, but I do see this thread as more of a struggle to find the house to "ecomod" rather than the actual modding, but I'll try to keep it all documented...

PS, and it was posted on my birthday last year!

Last edited by RobbMeeX; 06-07-13 at 01:59 PM..
RobbMeeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 01:33 PM   #18
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

Another offer accepted. Move-in ready 3/2 for 62K! Currently has a tenant until 7/4. The one thing wrong is that it's im a rough neighborhood. BUT it's on the edge of a new city improvement project. And after talking to the locals, it's all coming up. Pics will be posted and the house is very pink!
Old 07-03-13, 01:52 PM   #19
Daox
Administrator

Haha... at least paint is cheap.

&
Old 07-10-13, 03:15 PM   #20
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

Inspection was positive. Has three nail pops on the roof and some flashing around the windows and the dishwasher had standing water. But the test looked good. Attic has insulation but could use a fan. Cinder block walls could use some insulating. We're talking to SE lenders now to get it all handled!