EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-15, 11:07 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Tesla’s secret breakthrough home battery

While the title of the article is incredibly deceiving (its nowhere near what you all need to know), it is interesting to see whats available. Also, the price seems incredibly reasonable which makes me a bit suspect.

Tesla’s secret breakthrough home battery detailed: Everything you need to know

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 12:00 PM   #2
wuck
Helper EcoRenovator

Thought it was about Nikola's secret battery, unearthed from a dank basement somewhere.

Oh! That Tesla. Guess I'm old and have my head in the sand (Am and Do)

But yeah. Detailed? All I need to know? Thhhhhhhhhhttttttppppppppp!
--
Pat
wuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 04:33 PM   #3
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I hope this takes off and comes down in price fast. I would love to see where it was cost effective to go off grid. Then the power companies could stop whining about solar producers paying their way.

The one thing that I really like about solar charging my car and getting so many solar powered miles each year.
That is also the thing that makes it much harder to go off grid.

I charge twice a day sometimes 2 1/2 - 3. two times is 24 kwh that is without using any power at my house on a rainy day that adds up to needing a lot of storage.

The 2015 Chevy Volt has a 17.1 KWh battery pack or the lead 24 kwh.
I bet we can pick these up at junk yards in a few years for a good price.
The then we be having controls so we and use these at our houses.
It would be so cool to build a 4 pack of these in a out building to be more energy independent.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-15, 04:28 PM   #4
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Check out this project he bought a used Tesla battery pack and he is going to charge it with solar.
It is a very big project.
Plan: Off grid solar with a Model S battery pack at the heart

Battery Hackers Are Building the Future in the*Garage - Bloomberg Business
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 06:11 AM   #5
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The battery pack could come in very handy for those who have Time of Use electric rates. Use the battery during peak times, charge it off peak.
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 06:16 AM   #6
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I've said this before but I'll say it again. Th challenge of the 21st Century won't be in making power, we can easily do that, it's in power storage. Musk is on the right track and it's good to see these solutions starting to come about. He's changing the world and the fossil fuel industry will be left in the dust, no tears from me!

If you want to see the future, look into the past. Technology has always dictated the path we took and will continue to do so. Tesla's cars are not cost effective for me now that I'm retired but what they will do is set the benchmark for other companies.

The place to focus on is Hawaii. Right now the utilities are fighting customers who want to install interties to offset high rates but the utilities are dragging their heels. They've just been told by the regulatory commission to pick things up and now people who couldn't intertie are now starting to.

Germany and the rest of the world are proving the viability of alternatives, the world is changing and fast!

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 07:35 AM   #7
adeyo
Lurking Renovator

Currently my 3000 square-foot farmhouse uses 3780 kW a month. I'm installing a 9 kW PV system and I hope to take a few energy-saving measures to get my monthly usage down to around 1800 kW per month . Even if I accomplish this goal, which is certainly feasible in my situation, that still puts me at 60 kW a day. My PV system and my climate should produce 25 kW per day. Although I am thrilled with this technology coming to market and have been waiting for something like it, a 10 kW Tesla battery pack will do very little if anything for me. Even if I strung nine of these together I would only be covering a day and a half of my energy usage in the case of a power outage. Plus, I would not even be able to fill it up in the case of a power outage because my whole days solar supply would go straight to running my refrigerators and a few other essentials for the day. Unfortunately, I believe these units have an amperage limits of 8.6 amps, which will cover my well pump pretty much with very little else in my home running. (7.8amp draw). At $3,500 which does not include the inverter, I have a hard time seeing how this would be worth it at this point. It is a start though!
adeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 09:16 AM   #8
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Smile

Robaroni,

Your still kicking. I went to 11.7 kw. The Tesla batteries may not help me either. My daily load is 20 to 40 kwh's.

The 2014 Volts been great. Getting 2016 Volt with 50 mile range, on black Friday. I need it for income tax deduction. Son will pay trade-in value for 2014 Volt.

2015 income Tax = Pay $0.00
Chevy dealer = Pay $7,500 +.

Works for me!

My power company has added a $50 charge on people that installed solar. I'm grandfathered for a few years. Basically, no solar companies are installing new systems in a large portion of Arizona sence Feb. 28, 2015, because of it. Lawsuits are flying (Solar City Elon's Company has a lawsuit.), don't know how it will come out.

Vern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 09:28 AM   #9
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern2 View Post
Robaroni,

Your still kicking. I went to 11.7 kw. The Tesla batteries may not help me either. My daily load is 20 to 40 kwh's.

My power company has added a $50 charge on people that installed solar in Arizona. I'm grandfathered for a few years. Basically, no solar companies are installing new systems in a large portion of Arizona sence Feb 28, 2015, because of it. Lawsuits are being made, don't know how it will come out.
Hi Vern!
How's the Plasma cutter working out for you?

Yea, that's ALEC and the Koch brothers trying to kill PV. I'm grandfathered in till around 2020 if I remember, new installs get a return of about 1/3 what I'm getting. I'm already thinking about what I'm going to do with power once my contract is up. Good thing is I'll own my equipment then.
Hopefully I'll get the micro-hydro and wind in this summer and then if the Tesla battery prices drop (they're supposed to) I'll switch out my aging batteries for them.

Best,
Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 09:58 AM   #10
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Smile

Robaroni,

I updated my last post...

Plasma cutter.

Finishing up on mini split 2 ton Inverter. Running 1" conduit from sub, wife leaving friday, Will be helping Daughter move to west coast, 3000 mile trip. When she comes back, will finish mini split. Plans for plasma table growing bigger before I turn it on.

New Page 1

Vern2 is offline   Reply With Quote