EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-20-13, 08:17 AM   #1
Terdale
Renovation Consultant

Default rubble foundation

We have a rubble foundation that needs attention, cleaning and insulation. a wire brush will remove most of the loose material and scling. The question is what is the best way to insulate . The cost to foam is approx. $ 3,000 vrs the cost to insulate with a breathing material on the wall. either way we need studs and drywall. I think that we should leave the wall accessable for air flow to get rid of any moisture, so I am questioning the foam. Any thoughts?

Terry

Terdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-13, 09:46 AM   #2
wewantutopia
Lurking Renovator

I'd say the BEST way to insulate a basement is with rigid foam insulation on the EXTERIOR of the wall bringing the thermal mass of the foundation into the envelope...
wewantutopia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wewantutopia For This Useful Post:
Ryland (11-21-13)
Old 11-20-13, 01:34 PM   #3
Terdale
Renovation Consultant

Default rubble foundation

We can not install insulation from the exterior, so we must do from inside . My question is 'if we spray foam insulation on the interior rubble wall, will that not trap moisture from the exterior?' Would it not be better to let the moisture through the wall and down to the slab where it could be controlled by a fan. There is not a great deal of moisture!

Terry
Terdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-13, 09:10 PM   #4
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

There is information about basement insulating on buildingscience.com. The information suggests that concrete/rubble doesn't need ventilation and that sealing it off prevents moisture and radon from entering the conditioned area. Any moisture being trapped in the conrete/rubble supposedly is not an issue because they are not affected by moisture. Materials such as wood and drywall(and your whole house and comfort frankly) are affected by the moisture and should be protected from it.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-13, 09:37 AM   #5
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Spray foam will remove condensation points, but yes, like you said, it will not breath to the inside, it will however breath to the outside, so as long as you have good drainage and no moisture problems already you should be fine.

If you are really worried about it, you could install a vent system under the foam and have a suction fan that pulls any moist air out and expels it from the house, this could be as simple as every few feet having a small perforated pipe next to the stone wall, connected to an exhaust fan and have that either on a humidistat that is in a cavity cut in to the foam so it's next to the stone, or on a timer to let it run an hour per day, I would opt for a humidistat.

My house has sand stone walls, with crawl space, we put plastic on the floor of the crawl space, a drain tile under that and a vent fan, the plastic then ran up the sand stone walls far enough to be foam sealed in to place.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-13, 06:04 PM   #6
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

i would be very careful that there is not a lot of hydraulic pressure from the outside. I have seen spray foam on the inside become pushed off the wall in places when there is a lot of exterior pressure. I think that, if at all possible, it could be sealed from the outside it would be the best option.

Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote