EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-09-13, 02:14 PM   #11
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I've looked at these, basically it's an X-13 motor with generic programming. At a 100W savings vs. a standard 1/3HP motor it would take 25,000hrs of run time @ 10 cents per KWH to pay for the motor. If the motor or module dies before you get to 25,000hrs you loose. Unless your furnace is new the motor may have to be in 2 different furnaces before it pays for itself.

Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 12:29 PM   #12
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I found a new SNTech Green Motor Indoor 1/2HP PSC Replacement Motor - GI10750G on amazon for $226 shipped and went for it. I know I might not get a payback but I just put in over 2 ton mini splits and I want to try and run fan only quietly.

My current fan only is loud and runs only at full speed and uses more power than running the small MS.

I would like to get some heat from my new MS to my kids rooms time will tell if this is the answer.

The video was very cool but above my tinkering level.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 11-11-13 at 12:32 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 03:37 PM   #13
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I used a light dimmer switch wired in series with my blower. like this one. I used a cheapie, but you can buy fan speed controls for not much more.

I did the same thing with my hacked window air conditioner/heat pump to slow the twin shaft blower to a crawl during defrost. I tried cutting the motor out completely during defrost, but during the swing season (this time of year), the indoor coil froze up before the outdoor coil completely thawed. The effect is worst when temps are between 30 and 40 degF outdoors. With the dew point so close to freezing, the outdoor coil just yanks the moisture out of the air! If the evap drops below freezing, the water-vapor laden fins freeze into a near solid block of ice fast. All it takes is 40-50 rpm to keep the indoor coil pumping enough heat outdoors.

Last edited by jeff5may; 11-11-13 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: details
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 03:43 PM   #14
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I am looking at a different Wi-Fi thermostat it will turn on the fan form 0-9 minutes every hour.
It lets you have 7 different events a day.
Old 11-11-13, 05:21 PM   #15
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

So will the new thermostat communicate with the mini-split units? Or help balance or control them? Or are you buying it just to control the recirculator?

Sorry about all the questions. I've just become immune to the WOW factor with all this new convergence technology. Partially from being inside the industry for decades (every year it's something new that's gonna change everything), partially because I'm thrifty.
Old 11-11-13, 07:37 PM   #16
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

No the thermostat will not talk to the MS and it really does not do a good job with the fan control.

How I would really like to control it would be with a insteon device.
ApplianceLinc Relay - INSTEON Plug-in Appliance Control Module, 3-pin - Smarthome
I have insteon home automation with a isy-99 device that I can turn and off devices with code.
https://www.universal-devices.com/residential/isy-99i/
That would give me a lot of flexibility.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 11-11-13 at 07:39 PM..
Old 11-11-13, 07:54 PM   #17
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Use a wall wart to switch a relay.
Old 11-11-13, 09:19 PM   #18
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Since that controls 120 volts can I just wire it to the new motor? But what if the heat comes on when I am running it at a low speed?
Old 11-12-13, 12:14 AM   #19
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

OMG not another home automation protocol!

Will this one work with DirecTV? My last one didn't. Is it High Definiti0n? Which rooms can I control what in? Does it cost extra? Cuz I don't wanna pay extra. Do I have to subscribe?
What the heck is a scene? How many scenes are there in a play? Will this stuff plug and play? Do I have to be a computer scientist to make insteon work? This sounds expensive.

Sorry, I went into consumer mode for a moment.
Old 11-12-13, 07:08 AM   #20
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

So you are not a fan of home automation. The cool thing about Insteon is you don’t need the controller I listed above to get started. You can have just that one or two lights you would like to control. We started with a barn the was 150’ I did not want to leave the light on all the time but my wife did not want to go out into the dark. The answer was Insteon we can just turn on the light to the barn before we go out.
Then we can turn it back off when we get back to the house. I will be using it for my hot water cyc pump. When you shut the bathroom door I will start the cyc pump not running it all the time will save.

If the power goes out they will still work when it comes back on. No running computer to suck up power.

You can easily put this in yourself and you do not need a large amount of money to add some home automation.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 11-12-13 at 07:13 AM..