EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-16, 04:32 PM   #1
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Heated Floor (Hydronic)

Another Project, why not?

The on-suite bathroom had suffered from some cracked tiles and more importantly some extra help happened to show up so I took on the reno.

The on-suite bathroom originally had staple up to try to warm the room and we now know that that doesn't work especially with low grade heat like solar hot water and Geo-thermal.

It so happened like so often the project escalated from replacing the tile floor to a near complete dismantling. The tile that had been installed was no longer available. So all the tile had to be removed and replaced with new.

The new floor will sport the Wirsbo/Uponor system. This is a 1/2" plywood with a routed groove for the tubing and aluminum spreader on the back side. This is screwed down to the plywood floor decking and the tile are then thin-set to the top of which is in direct contact to the tubing. I do agree with Mikesolar that any-thing other than tubing in concrete is a compromise this is a pretty good one.

The timing for this type of work is good as the heating system is off and can remain that way until November.

A photo is worth a thousand words. Maybe someone could resize for a better look

Randen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	160502_001.jpg
Views:	1045
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	6929   Click image for larger version

Name:	160502_002.jpg
Views:	1068
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	6930   Click image for larger version

Name:	160502_003.jpg
Views:	1194
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	6931  

Last edited by Daox; 05-03-16 at 03:20 PM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-16, 12:33 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

How did the install go? It looks like that would make things very easy and quick. I know my setup wasn't nearly as quick as I did it all by hand. IIRC those boards are not cheap though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-16, 08:47 AM   #3
LJKeenan
Lurking Renovator

What did you cover it with? I hope tile as it would conduct the heat better.
LJKeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-16, 10:26 AM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Randen,

What is the tube spacing with this system?

-AC

Old 06-07-16, 11:47 AM   #5
LJKeenan
Lurking Renovator

I believe its 12 on center if my memory serves me right from when I was seeing it installed AC. But only Raden can confirm. It works well but you want it in a cement slab to even the heat out. Second best is above the floor or below. I like below because you can create an air cavity to spread the heat and it doesnt take up that half inch of space on the floor.
LJKeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-16, 12:57 PM   #6
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Heated Floor (Hydronic)

LJKeenan

You are right on 1 article here. The in-slab heating is the best and it is done with a tube spacing of 12"

Now there are a couple options for heating a floor hydronically for a wood frame home one is the self-leveling gypcrete pour on a wood floor however its heavy and its thickness has some further complications with an additional 1-1/2"-2-1/2 with doors etc.

This system I'm using is the Uponor/Wirsbo system and it only raises the floor an additional 1/2" The tubing is about 7/16 OD x 5/16 Id and is cross-linked to prevent oxygen from entering the water and causing corrosion issues long term. The tube to tube spacing is a tried and true 7" that will spread heat uniformly through most floor coverings. And of coarse stone would be one of the better granite for our installation.

The under floor method of which you are writing otherwise known as staple up is wrong on so many levels. I had originally had this installed beneath two second story rooms and even with water temps of 180 Deg F. the rooms were uncomfortably cold. It was all removed for this system mentioned above. ( I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST ANY TYPE OF STAPLE-UP!!!)

I may add that our home boosts the in-slab heating for the main floor and is heated via solar and backed up with geo-thermal. The in-slab is sooo nice during the winter months and very efficient and we live in a harsher type climate.

Randen

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	160607_001.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	6989  
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-16, 07:54 AM   #7
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default heated floor (hydronic)

Progress is being made albeit slowly. My helper has been called out to some other pressing jobs. As of June 20 most of the tile has been placed, its a very tedious task as the grout line is typical 1/16" for the granite.

The Uponor installed well screwing down to the 3/4" plywood decking.

As with most reno's this one did kinda explode as I really just wanted to replace 2 tiles.

To place the thermostat in the floor and run a control wire to the floor heating manifold some more drywall needs to be removed, Oh Humm!!

Here are some photos of the Uponor and tile being set. A keen eye will also notice a heated towel bar. This stainless tube operates with solar hot water and is quite nice to pick off a warm dry towel after the shower. Who knew such creature comforts via solar??!!

Randen

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	160517_001_001.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	7032   Click image for larger version

Name:	160517_002_001.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	7033   Click image for larger version

Name:	160614_001.jpg