EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 02-09-09, 09:09 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default acoustibuds - listen to music while using your air tools

A coworker of mine mentioned these to me the other day. I dunno about you guys, but I like to listen to music when I'm working on stuff. But, I also use tools that are way too loud to not wear hearing protection. So, I end up usually just wearing ear protection and go without the music. Well, with these little dealybobs you don't have to accept a trade off. Its a rubber boot that fits over your earbuds and acts like an earplug, but allows you to listen to your music. I haven't tried them yet, but I think I'll probably be ordering a pair soon. FYI, they are not the cheapest earplugs @ $13 on amazon.

ACOUSTIBUDS - Earphone Adapters

Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 07:21 PM   #2
SVOboy
Administrator

Let us know how they work, I'd really like a pair for riding bikes inside and such
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 09:55 PM   #3
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

I use these while operating heavy machinery.
Shure - Personal Monitor Systems - SCL4 Sound Isolating Earphones
With
Shure - Universal Yellow Foam Sleeves
I can't find a DB rating for these anyplace, but in my ears they compare well to 18 Db reducing foam ear plugs. Unfortunately if your workplace has a hearing protection policy these may/ or may not qualify. To comply with areas with hearing protection requirements I just use approved over the ear hearing protectors over the SCL4's.
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-09, 12:14 AM   #4
Hugh Jim Bissel
Helper EcoRenovator

I'm also a fan of Shure. I have a pair of Shure E3's? I used as monitors while drumming: Cuts ambient noise about as good as foam earplugs. I used the smallest plastic-ish inserts. I was glad a plastic size worked, I can wipe them off, as opposed to having to buy more foam ones (I put foam earplugs through the wash though, wonder if the sleeves would take that).

I say used cause the cord eventually died at the plug. I need to solder a new plug on, but they've been dead for a year or two now, and I haven't currently been playing in places where I've missed having them too much. Just recently got my first mp3 player, so may have to break out the iron and put them to a new use.

Biggest fault of the Shures is they start at about $100 and climb rapidly! I've not used comparable products from other companies; but for blocking external sound and giving a full range sound they worked great! (I'm missing them now; I think I know what my next project is!)

Second the request for a report. If they're decent I might pick up a pair to get some better sound out of the earbuds that came with the mp3 player: then I'll have a backup to the currently nonfunctioning Shures. Or if they don't block ambient as much as earplugs they might be perfect for most of my current drumming occasions where I'm not playing full intensity, but still loud enough I want some blockage.

Last edited by Hugh Jim Bissel; 06-07-09 at 12:23 AM..
Hugh Jim Bissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 02:17 PM   #5
truckncycle
Helper EcoRenovator

I didn't see NRR (noise reduction rating) listed for either of these. These are probably fine to use while mowing the lawn or using a power sander. I wouldn't want the distraction if I was using a tablesaw, chop saw, router, etc.

truckncycle is offline   Reply With Quote