EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-11, 08:20 PM   #1
davranyou
Lurking Renovator

Default Fluid Master? Waste of Money

Hey Everyone,

It has been a while since I've done any renos to the home so I finally decided to something about getting a dual flush toilet. When I first looked into to getting a Dual Flush toilet, they priced north of $300 CDN. Not exactly what I wanted to spend on a toilet. so I found this http://www.fluidmaster.com/index.asp?bhcp=1

It is a conversion of all your toilet tank's inner guts into a Dual flush system. The $39.99 price was right, so I decided to give it a shot. The install was not fun, and could not be done in the short time as described on the box.

The final stages of the install required flush valve adjustments in several increments to see how much water would be needed to flush the toilet completely. Each incremental change required a flush, I made some 20 plus adjustments and never got two pieces of toilet paper to flush. Even on the Full Flush selection!

The product is a wonderful idea, however it may not be suitable for all toilet bowl designs, especially in my case.

Being completely frustrated with my wasted money, my wasted time, and countless gallons of flushed water wasted on adjustments... I decided a trip to my favorite hardware store would cheer me up.

Low and behold I found a Dual Flush Toilet (Trebol Aqua 4) on sale for $115.00 each. I thought the price was too good to be true and I would end up with a toilet that can't flush .

Turns out I was wrong

Maybe I can try and return the Fluidmaster kit now?

davranyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davranyou For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-09-11)
Old 06-09-11, 09:27 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Thanks for the review! Its always good to know what to avoid.

A while back one of our members found the hydroright dual flush conversion. I and several others here have used them and they work great in most cases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 12:00 AM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I have a dual flush toilet and I really like it, the toilet is designed all around to flush with less water so for the most part it flushes just fine with 1.1 gallons of water (the lesser of the two flushes) but it gives you that 1.6 gallon flush for those times that you get the gut feeling that you will otherwise need to flush twice.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 05:33 PM   #4
davranyou
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Thanks for the review! Its always good to know what to avoid.
You are welcome! I do not know if Fluidmaster should be avoided. When looking at the product, it is fairly similar in design to the components of my Trebol toilet. However, the bowl shape is far different than my 15 year old toilet.

The product is great in theory, but your bowl design is a big factor in how well it works.

davranyou is offline   Reply With Quote