EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-16, 11:27 PM   #1
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Default Amazon echo

I gave my wife an Amazon echo for Christmas. She likes to play music during the day and we ask echo about the weather.
Alexa has shopping list that goes to your phone and appointments...

I have a universal devices issy994i and some insteon devices home automation devices.
So what that all means is now I and have the echo turn and off lights.
You can say Alexa turn kitchen light on. She will turn it on. If the driveway alarm goes off you can say Alexa turn on porch light on.

Hey just like Iron man not that good but still pretty cool.

I use this automation to turn on my hot water recirculating pump when you turn a bathroom light or the kitchen sink light. This works great. (Alexa is not needed for this to work)

Echo (2nd Generation)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Echo.JPG
Views:	938
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	6551  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by Daox; 10-19-18 at 08:29 AM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-16, 01:44 PM   #2
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Back when I has my subaru wrx I really really wanted something like this in my car.
Does it talk back to you? Like tell you the weather?
Old 01-22-16, 02:31 PM   #3
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Yes it is a lot like Siri.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 02-29-16, 04:58 AM   #4
flavin
Lurking Renovator

What is the difference between having siri,cortana and echo. Which is more user friendly?
flavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-16, 02:55 AM   #5
DEnd
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavin View Post
What is the difference between having siri,cortana and echo. Which is more user friendly?
I'm way late I know, but Echo is more user friendly. That's not to say that SIRI or Cortana are bad, because they are great. However, Echo is always on and listening so you don't have to push a button. The Downside is that it sometimes responds when you aren't talking to it. Echo also uses a special microphone system to reduce echos and filter out extraneous noise. A single mic system is just too noisy to always listen from a distance. You need to be right at the mic for you voice to overpower other noises and give a clean enough signal for voice recognition to work. This is essentially why you have to press a button on your phone for Siri or Cortana to work.
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 08:18 PM   #6
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The thing I like about echo is it is running all the time. We have had it a while now. We use it every day for turning light on and off. I bet 10 times a day. We use it for shopping list. My wife uses it to play music.
It is so worth it just for the home automation integration.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -