EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-12, 05:41 PM   #1
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default 26 SEER DC INVERTER Thru wall / window air conditioner

I've been expecting to see these "Inverter Thru wall / window air conditioners" show up..
26 SEER DC Inverter Thru wall / window air conditioner ductless mini split ac | eBay

The specs look nice. Anyone here interested in a nice 21 Seer window AC?

No fancy installation tools needed!

Edit:
Found this old review..
http://www.amazon.com/5200BTU-Hybid-...ews/B004T7F6Q8

Sounds like a regular window AC.. Not an inverter unit..
Is the reviewer wrong? Or is someone scamming?

Last edited by Xringer; 04-18-12 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Scam?
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 01:12 PM   #2
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
The specs look nice. Anyone here interested in a nice 21 Seer window AC?
If someone is into trying to break through the "inverter code" this might be just what the doctor ordered.

It is by far the cheapest entry point into inverter hacking.

I wasted more money than this on college courses and didn't learn a thing.

... the $100 shipping is a deal breaker for me... if there is a scam, that would be it.

-AC
Old 04-23-12, 01:34 PM   #3
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

The question being "Is someone scamming?"

I'll take this statement.
"This is for TOYO TA-05CW/HIB 5,200 BTU Hybrid Energy Star DC Inverter Thru wall / window air conditioner with 26 SEER"

Not listed on the energy star site. That tells me that lies exist. They also add 'hybrid' to the name, what's hybrid about it? It sounds like a Chinese company that just decided to throw a bunch of words together and sell a unit. I'd have to actually get some real data and not just a bunch of blurry pictures of a window units and a bunch of ductless splits in the same ad along with an 'Energuide' designed to look similar to energy star that doesn't even display the SEER the ad claims. Shoddy ad, I can only think its a shoddy product and can't find much credibility in it. How much of a variance in capacity are you to need or can you effectively have in a 5k a/c? I'm not making much sense of this add. It's also not a heat pump. AHRI is the only source that legitimately supplies a SEER rating and this brand doesn't exist in AHRI or energy star lists. Window ACs usually run off of an EER rating anyway.

Smells like fish.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 01:46 PM   #4
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I'll add to what I just said. AHRI doesn't do anything for window units, my point was that window units don't get a SEER rating and only AHRI does that with more substantial permantently installed units such as A/Cs, boilers, furnaces, and ductless units.

I read through that review in your edit, didn't notice it before. Sounds like a fake and cheap unit. I have a 5k BTU window A/C that uses between 400 and 500 watts most of the time unless it gets very hot out, rated 10.7 EER, which is energy star. Based on his review I'm not even sure that unit would pass the federal minimum standards. Since its on ebay, it could come from China and the federal standards could easily be skirted. Most consumers wouldn't know the difference, even with it installed. The air flow numbers are odd too 300CFM is way over what a 5k unit should put out. 150 would be appropriate for good dehumidification and 220 is a little high but if humidity isn't an issue, it might be more efficient but 300CFM wouldn't be because you wouldn't get any dehumidification because the evap. coil won't get cold enough.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 06:06 PM   #5
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Yeah, when something sounds too good to be true, someone gets taken in..
I Googled around a bit and couldn't find anything, that would make me think this was the real deal.
Old 03-24-13, 07:00 AM   #6
cer
Lurking Renovator

All I was looking for was an efficient alternative to replacing thru wall units like in motel rooms and offices which is very common in the areas I frequent with inverter technology. My gut tells me that there is a patent problem or the like. This window unit is the only thing I have seen so far, and I it seems fishy. I will keep looking!
cer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-13, 08:56 AM   #7
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Georgetown has pretty nice weather. You could get away with less than high-performance.

Mini-split prices aren't going down much.. (Maybe spend.gov is printing money too fast?)

Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner 9 000 BTU Heat Pump 9000 BTU 3 4 Ton AC | eBay 13 SEER, 9k for $619
20 SEER 12000 BTU Ductless AC Mini Wall Split Air Conditioner Heat Pump | eBay 20 SEER 12k for $1121

With the way things are heading in the world today. Installing mini-splits,
just might be a very good investment.
Old 03-24-13, 09:59 AM   #8
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

That Klimair is also cheap chinese and the comp is probably not Toshiba. There have been a lot of complaints in Europe from people buying these these type of units. Often 2 units with the same model number would come with different comps, txv, or whatever else and there will be NO service or parts available. You get what you pay for.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-13, 01:00 PM   #9
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
That Klimair is also cheap chinese and the comp is probably not Toshiba. There have been a lot of complaints in Europe from people buying these these type of units. Often 2 units with the same model number would come with different comps, txv, or whatever else and there will be NO service or parts available. You get what you pay for.
I just checked out Amazon customer feedback on these units and they're pretty darn happy.

Also, many manufacturers will make subcomponent substitutions if they can get the same specs for a cheaper price... nothing unusual there... it is a common industrial practice, and not a reason to condemn a particular product.

My reservation is that compared to other brands, their overall performance is considerably lower than the best units, that may cost nearly twice as much.

I did a break-even analysis on similar units, one being super high-efficiency and the other being similar to the Klimaire units, and decided that the extra price would be justified in about 5 years, when used full time.

I was also considering a smaller unit to warm my intermittently used basement workshop. At that use rate, comparing an electric resistance heater (that I had paid $15 for), the break-even point for the cheapo units was about two years, and the BE point for the expensive units was out past 10 years.

So, I think that these cheapo units are just fine. They all have some kind of 90 day guarantee.

My overall conclusion is that if you have the money, you should get the most efficient unit you can afford.

I also think that if you are cash strapped, the cheapo units are so vastly superior to resistance heat, that they should be a seriously considered option.

-AC
Old 03-24-13, 10:30 PM   #10
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Klimaire:

Built a new shop for son this last year and took a chance on a Klimaire as the local bldg dept required an energy star rating on equipment for new buildings (did not allow DIY heat pump unless you want to go thru the expense of ARI testing, etc. )

Bought a 19.2 SEER 18K BTU mini-split unit, only complaint is all controls are by remote IR handheld unit only, so will have to hack into the electronics after all the code inspections.

Was afraid I might be 'getting took', but have been pleasantly surpirsed at the quality of the unit. Quietest outdoor unit I've ever experienced, indoor similar (until I stuck my finger into the output grill and broke off 4 vanes of the squirrle cage fan - (quite a task to glue the vanes back on and balance without taking the entire unit apart - another story)

Took the whole thing apart first to see how well built it was. The compressor was a toshiba (unless the nameplate was counterfeit, but it looked like a toshiba) and the inverter electronics were well made. Definitely made in China, as folks I bought it from had a 4 week delay in getting their incoming shipment thru customs.

Was going to braze the connections vs. the flare, took a chance on the flares and torqued with POE oil on threads and flare faces, 4 months now and going great - on assy, did pull a 300 micron vac for 4 hrs to be sure after a 600 psi dry N2 4 hr test.

mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote