EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-12, 10:15 PM   #31
Daox
Administrator

This past weekend I scored another free bit to the solar panel setup. I was helping my father in law move a concrete sink (WOW heavy!) and he had this sitting next to it. A contractor ripped it out of the basement and it still seems to work just fine. We pressurized the bladder and it seems to hold air... I'm sure the size is a bit overkill for the panel setup, but hey its free and it'll still work great.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house002.JPG
Views:	1108
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2413  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-12, 10:50 AM   #32
Daox
Administrator

I've been thinking about this project a lot lately and have been wanting to get started on it again. However, I have a few other things that I'd like to button up first. Still, with the amazing weather this weekend, I took some time to work on the panels themselves. About half of the panels have been washed and rinsed. I sprayed them down with the hose and also put water through them with the hose. Hopefully I'll have time later this week to start pressure testing them.

&
Old 09-01-12, 04:27 PM   #33
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

That exp tank is not too big for 10 panels. In fact it might be a bit small and you will have to reduce the pressure in it somewhat. I would stick with a 650 gal tank and I would even look at making the panels on an 85-90deg pitch. IIRC your lowest sun angle in the winter is around 20deg and you don't want to deal with getting rid of hot water in the summer. Vertical panels will give you all the DHW you will need and make an efficient supply for the HP. All in all it looks like a fun project.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 08:33 AM   #34
Daox
Administrator

The mounting angle will be optimized for greatest heat gain in December. That does put it at about 20 degrees IIRC. I am hoping that the extra heat in summer won't be too big an issue.

&
Old 09-04-12, 09:26 AM   #35
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
The mounting angle will be optimized for greatest heat gain in December. That does put it at about 20 degrees IIRC. I am hoping that the extra heat in summer won't be too big an issue.
Optimize it for when the sun just a bit higher than its yearly lowest, say for early Dec/mid January, since Jan/Feb are usually the coldest months.

As for the summer, I saw a house here yesterday which had half of its solar panels covered with a tarp.
Old 09-12-12, 07:58 AM   #36
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, that might have to be a yearly thing if my tilt isn't steep enough. We'll see when summer rolls around.

&