EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-14, 01:13 AM   #1641
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdigger2 View Post
Yea i have a old 2 inch water well on the property. Got a temp sensor to check and see what the water temp would be it was 64 . Thats pretty much a finished project the water well is . Just a standard old drinkin water well.
Are you intending to use it in a Geothermal application, or are you measuring the temperature for reference purposes?

By the way, did you put a thermometer down in the well, or did you measure the temp of the water from the well?

-AC

Old 01-03-14, 09:15 AM   #1642
waterdigger2
Helper EcoRenovator

Just did it for reference purposes to see what the temp was did it with a infared temp gun thing comin out of the well from the jet pump . Have gave some thought on usein water to do the geothermal though at the buddies house and parents. Very easy for me to do a well by hand and a water pump
waterdigger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 09:44 AM   #1643
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Very easy for me to do a well by hand and a water pump
Since putting in a well is the most difficult and expensive part of a geothermal system, I'd like to know more about how you can do it easily?

I know that some Southern US soil formations are a mix of sand and clay, with few cobbles, that would be plenty helpful, right there. Is that the kind of soil you are working with?

Also, what kind of drilling rig are you using? Is it a rotary rig or a cable rig (percussion rig)?

Are you using a rig that you made yourself, or do you have access to a well drilling rig?

Any photos you can share would be helpful, too.

Thanks,

-AC
Old 01-03-14, 10:51 AM   #1644
BeerGrylls
Lurking Renovator

Hey guys,
good to see people are making progress with their projects. I'm happy to report that I finalized a ghetto install of the ASHP on the boat and it is purring along nicely. I'm now looking to source a water to refrigerant HX and hope to do the conversion soon (spring, or even sooner). Also found a performance sheet of my inverter compressor if anyone is interested to look at. Would be really sweet to hit a cop of 6 with the conversion.

Cheers from the boat.

PS- I cannot post links to my compressor performance sheets apparently... one day...
BeerGrylls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 12:03 PM   #1645
waterdigger2
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Since putting in a well is the most difficult and expensive part of a geothermal system, I'd like to know more about how you can do it easily?

I know that some Southern US soil formations are a mix of sand and clay, with few cobbles, that would be plenty helpful, right there. Is that the kind of soil you are working with?

Also, what kind of drilling rig are you using? Is it a rotary rig or a cable rig (percussion rig)?

Are you using a rig that you made yourself, or do you have access to a well drilling rig?

Any photos you can share would be helpful, too.

Thanks,

-AC
Those maps arent always right . 2 foot difference can make a world of difference in digging a well through rock and diggin through sand any one who says 2 ft difference dont hasnt drillled b4. I do have a way to get a real rig.
Geophysical | Ardco
But cost to move the thing from point a to point b . Beings that here is sandy clay (Mostly) i can shoot down pretty easily just Pvc pipe and a homeaid bit to the water table . Which here is only 9 ft . But i usually go down to the next aquifer 15ft. Which dont dry up all year you can pulll water from. That with a gravel pack plenty of water. Which i think would be cheaper in there cases instead of hauling the real rig . Ill get a pic of my little set up Nothing real special its at the buddys house drilled a well there.

Last edited by waterdigger2; 01-03-14 at 12:34 PM..
Old 01-03-14, 01:21 PM   #1646
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGrylls View Post
...I finalized a ghetto install of the ASHP on the boat and it is purring along nicely...
Great news!

As I said before, you're the first boat-hacker we have had, so this is a very significant event.

Quote:
I'm now looking to source a water to refrigerant HX and hope to do the conversion soon (spring, or even sooner).
If you can give us some more information, better yet... photos, we might be able to come up with some useful ideas for something you can make. I'm always surprised how much actual expertise we have floating about here.

I have an unused tube-in-tube HX in the cellar I'd sell you. It's reputed to be a 12,000 BTU HX. If you're interested, I'll post a photo & measurements for your consideration. Although, it looks to be such a typical item, I'd expect that you could find something closer to your floating home.

Quote:
Also found a performance sheet of my inverter compressor if anyone is interested to look at. Would be really sweet to hit a cop of 6 with the conversion. PS- I cannot post links to my compressor performance sheets apparently... one day...
Yeah, I think that the attachment limitation thing is to weed out robots. Obviously you aren't a robot, else you'd rust because you're living on a boat.

Just make a series of one-sentence posts (THIS WOULD BE A GOOD PLACE TO DO THAT).

Best,

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 01-03-14 at 07:49 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 01:23 PM   #1647
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
...Ill get a pic of my little set up Nothing real special its at the buddys house drilled a well there.
Yeah, love to see the pic.

-AC
Old 01-03-14, 05:57 PM   #1648
BeerGrylls
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Great news!
As I said before, you're the first boat-hacker we have had, so this is a very significant event.
If you can give us some more information, better yet... photos, we might be able to come up with some useful ideas for something you can make. I'm always surprised how much actual expertise we have floating about here.
I have an unused tube-in-tube HX in the cellar I'd sell you. It's reputed to be a 12,000 BTU HX. If you're interested, I'll post a photo & measurements for your consideration. Although, it looks to be such a typical item, I'd expect that you could find something closer to your floating home.
-AC
Thanks AC ! I would love to hear the details of the HX, I have been digging around here but it seems Europe is a bit less hacking friendly, not a lot of suitable HX in sight here yet. Been contemplating DIY HX but having a ready made one in 1 ton would be a kick start. Definitely some pics, dims or type would be great to see.

It is late night now but promise will get some pics soon.
Old 01-03-14, 06:06 PM   #1649
BeerGrylls
Lurking Renovator

Regarding compressor efficiency for those obsessed with high cop (including me). I found a paper written by some fine Japanese gentlemen concluding scroll compressors are more efficient than rotary from around 8000btu onwards for R22 and from 24000btu onwards for R410a. Another conclusion was that in the near future almost all small commercial units will have the inverter driven comps, either rotary or twin rotary, mine is a twin rotary and it is damn quiet and very little vibration (don't even have it bolted down).
Performance sheet of mine:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...791349_13_.pdf

Would be really sweet to drive this thing with dc current on the boat, very small system losses. Also ordered a water temp probe to see how warm the water is a few feet below my hull in the dead of winter.
Old 01-05-14, 09:53 AM   #1650
waterdigger2
Helper EcoRenovator

Ten four. I can telll you the basic components of it. Though. Seems like your place dont have that high of a water table so it prob would be a bit harder for you than me being mine is more less sandy and looks like youve got more of a clay. Any one down in the southern areas closer to the coast can jet one down fairly easily.

Tags
air conditioner, diy, gshp, heat pump, homemade