EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-17, 10:44 AM   #831
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

A couple of the things from garden today.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170606_101552.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	7786  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-06-17)
Old 06-15-17, 11:53 AM   #832
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I took a short video of the fish eating food and corn.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (09-25-17)
Old 06-22-17, 12:13 PM   #833
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The nitrifying bacteria makes nitrates that plants love but it lowers the PH. So you are always adjusting it up. Most plants likes it around 7 PH.

When I first setup my aquaponics system I just bought PH adjusting compounds form an aquaponics store.
I knew there was cheaper ways to adjust the PH but I had way too many things I was building to worry about it.

Now I am out of the compounds to adjust PH. It was time to buy cheaper items that still work well.

Builder’s lime is good for adjusting PH I called about 20 places no one had builders lime Quikrete has a lime product Lowe's stocked it at one point but the stores here don’t stock it anymore. I call the Quikrete they said they don’t ship to our area any more.

You can also use hydrated lime that is what I found locally. $7 for 5 pounds. I used two teaspoons and it brought my PM right where it was needed. So this stuff is very powerful. This stuff is Lots cheaper than what I was using no shipping.

I could also get hydrated lime 50 pounds for $10.75 but I just don't need that much lime when I only use teaspoons of it each time.

I bought some Potassium Carbonate off ebay $19 shipped. It good to alternate between calcium and Potassium to adjust PH to give plants what they need.

I have some Oster shells in a bag ( This helps buffer PH ) with water flowing over it to help with PH. This is cheap but very slow acting.

This should be enough compounds to adjust PH for three plus years. I have around 1,000 gallons of water in the whole system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170620_162909.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	7810  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 06-22-17 at 12:44 PM..
Old 06-28-17, 12:25 PM   #834
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Today's harvest and some plants.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1498665934604.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	7812  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 07-12-17, 12:26 PM   #835
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Wow, those look good! You might be saving some bucks this summer..
A lot of crops were harmed by too much cold and rain this spring.
Vegetables might be costing us non-farmers a lot more this year..
Old 08-28-17, 10:14 AM   #836
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My fish eating. They are getting big and a fish meal is in our near future.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 08-31-17, 12:24 PM   #837
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Today’s peppers

All the peppers are from the same plant 9’ tall pepper plant except the one on the top right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170831_113856.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	7887  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 09-21-17, 04:25 AM   #838
Eva845
Lurking Renovator

project is really interesting...this is really a good setup actually..
Old 09-21-17, 09:47 AM   #839
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Another good supplement to consider adding to your water is magnesium sulfate, aka Epsom salt. The Solanaceae family of plants you are growing (tomatoes and peppers) are gluttons of calcium and magnesium. Both hydrated lime and Epsom salt act to buffer the water around a pH of 6.5 or so, which helps avoid nutrient lockout issue. Definitely keep the pH below 6.9 to stave off all kinds of nasty side effects.

As a general rule, when you add lime, you also want to add a little gypsum (calcium sulfate aka plaster of paris) with the lime. If you're using dolomitic lime, it already has some magnesium in it, so the Epsom salt isn't so necessary. But if you're adding calcitic lime, it has no magnesium in it, and adding Epsom salt will get your available magnesium balanced.

The reason I point this out is because next to npk, the next 3 most important elements to watch are sulfur, calcium and magnesium. In aquaponic systems, nearly all of the trace elements are taken care of by the fish poop.

Last edited by jeff5may; 09-21-17 at 12:56 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 11:40 AM   #840
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Good suggestion, Epsom salt is a good cheap additive.
I do add Epsom salt sometimes but I bought a magnesium tester to know when to add it.
This being a closed system it could build up very easily so now I test before adding it.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -