EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Biofuels
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-13, 09:11 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Waste oil heater / furnace / boiler

Does anyone know about or use one of these? Ive thought about them many times, but I don't think I have a supply of enough fuel for them and I'd probably only use for the garage. If I had an inexpensive way of DIYing one I'd consider it though...

Anyway, the reason I brought it up is because I saw an ad on the site for a company that makes them. I checked it out and it looks more complicated than I expected. They require hooking up to an air compressor?

Clean Burn Products - Waste Oil Furnaces, Waste Oil Boilers, and Used Oil Recycling Centers

I tried to find a price on their smaller units, but was unsuccessful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (02-09-15)
Old 10-16-13, 11:19 AM   #2
stevehull
Steve Hull

These are basically a fuel oil burner adapted to burn a slightly more viscous (thicker) oil. For several years, while living in Durand MI, I was able to get used diesel locomotive oil (changed in locomotive every 500 hours) that was essentially 30 wt engine oil.

I got it in 50 gallon drums and poured it in my 250 gal fuel oil tank. Worked very well with no changes to the burner at all. The only thing was that at start up, when cold, it would sputter for a few minutes.

Made sure that I never put more locomotive oil into the tank to have less than a 50/50 mixture of fuel oil to locomotive oil. But it increased my cost efficiency by about 100%!

A cheap waste oil burner is the old kind that dripped fuel onto a hot cast iron burner plate where it would flare and burn. Surrounded by a heat exchanger where a far blew hot air about.

Messy, inefficient, smoky, had to get going - but REAL cheap. Have not seen those for decades . . . .

Steve
ecomodded (02-09-15)
Old 10-16-13, 11:59 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

So my guess is the compressed air is for injecting/misting/atomizing the oil as best as you can.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 06:23 PM   #4
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I always look at how much something that like costs once it is all said an done with the installation. I can't even justify putting a high efficiency wood burning stove in my house even if the wood were free. I'd imagine this waste oil furnace makes little sense even if you had an unlimited supply of free oil, especially if this is only heating your garage.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-13, 02:55 PM   #5
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

I run my oil burner on waste veg oil. I changed the nozzle to a 40x80EH, cranked up the delivery pressure to 160psi and put a water to oil heat exchanger on it, which preheats to 60C, there is then a 500 watt cartridge heater which directly heats the nozzle. It cost me $50 to build this and the WVO is free. Last winter I spent $12 a day on fuel for heat. Now it costs $1.00, which is the cost to run the blower motor/nozzle heater/pressurized fuel pump.
nexsuperne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nexsuperne For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (02-09-15)
Old 10-19-13, 03:06 PM   #6
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

The other burner that requires a compressed air supply of 5-12psi, to run a syphon based air atomizer nozzle. They are more forgiving on thicker fuels. My pressurized burner is cheap, but if the fuel isn't filtered to 10 micron, then it clogs up easily. Heat to reduce viscosity is essential, especially below 60f on WVO, as it waxes up in the cold filter below this point. So far my burner has run for the last month, with only a wipe over to clear any carbon on the nozzle. It splutters on startup, and I tend to cheat by chucking some wood in the firebox and heating the nozzle first. Once it is up to temperature, it runs very well, and automatically restarts with no problems.
Old 10-19-13, 03:26 PM   #7
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Does anyone know about or use one of these? Ive thought about them many times, but I don't think I have a supply of enough fuel for them and I'd probably only use for the garage. If I had an inexpensive way of DIYing one I'd consider it though...

Anyway, the reason I brought it up is because I saw an ad on the site for a company that makes them. I checked it out and it looks more complicated than I expected. They require hooking up to an air compressor?

Clean Burn Products - Waste Oil Furnaces, Waste Oil Boilers, and Used Oil Recycling Centers

I tried to find a price on their smaller units, but was unsuccessful.
Try ckburners.com , Craig does all the bits for the Beckett burners
Old 01-15-15, 11:45 AM   #8
Greg
Lurking Renovator

Default Waste oil heat

I have solar power and don't have lots of watts to wast. I came up with this turbo charged space heater. It is the olde time drip kind with the carburator on the back . I got rid of the carb and use a hydraulic flow controle needel valve. I blocked off all the holes where natural aspirated air would enter and use one hole to force air in to assist burning. I use 2 four inch 12 volt bisket fans to force air in and now I can successfully burn up to 50% WVO mind you it has to be cleaned out every 4-5 days. If you don't use the forced air I found it would only burn the lighter fuel and leave a black bubbling goo that was a bitch to clean. I have now heated my dog kennel for 4 months and through some cold -30c temps

Greg
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 11:52 AM   #9
Greg
Lurking Renovator

This the heater in the house cause the tank is outside I only used 1 barrel wvo to 4 barrel contaminated jet fuel.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3068
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	4942  

Last edited by Daox; 01-15-15 at 11:57 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (02-09-15)
Old 02-09-15, 11:33 AM   #10
Greg
Lurking Renovator

Default Waste oil heater

Here is the heater in my kennel it purs along quite well un attended for days at a time but due to the fact I burning 50% WVO I need to clean it every few days. You can see the hydronic flow control in stead of carburator. I also hav a selonoid valve for a two speed circuit could be run off a thermostat. The blue valve is a electric valve to be used as over temp safety or under temp. I cut up a barrel for the bottom pan and it runs outside 3/4 in pipe as overflow drain. This little rig works great it heats 600 squar ft 9 ft ceiling in some cold northern alberta temps. I have in floor heat tubes and hope to place gas hot water tank over the top using the stove chiminy as the heat source for the tank.

Greg

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1403
Size:	496.8 KB
ID:	4976