EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-13, 05:29 PM   #11
greif
a van down by the river

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
I could have saved myself so much trouble and expense if I hadn't put in 3 layers of 2 inch XPS in the walls (R-30 for 6"), carefully sealed at every layer.

Instead, I should have wrapped my kitchen in bubble wrap.

What a fool I was!

-AC_Hacker
wrap the outside of the house and watch the nieghbors looks on their faces

“If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom. ” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
greif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 12:09 PM   #12
Daox
Administrator

I just wrote a quick blog on this because its so easy and cheap to do and I think more people should consider it.

One question I did have though. It looks like AC_Hacker used the bubble wrap with smaller bubbles while the pictures on Gary's site look like he used the bubble wrap with larger bubbles. I'm wondering if the larger bubbles would be superior to the smaller ones? It also seems like AC_Hacker used two layers of bubble wrap versus Gary just using one. Anyway, things to consider and compare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 01:53 PM   #13
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
...AC_Hacker used two layers of bubble wrap versus Gary just using one. Anyway, things to consider and compare.
For my tests, I compared several different windows, the best one was a two pane double low-E, which has the heat reflective coating on the inside as well as the outside.

So when I took readings of the delta-T on that window, the difference was not enough for me (intuition, no calcs) to justify bubble wrap.

For me, the take-away was that the inside reflective coating does matter... a lot.

-AC
Old 12-03-13, 12:20 PM   #14
razor02097
Helper EcoRenovator

Thanks for this thread, I may have to try this. on the south side windows. One thing though... Do the bubbles block the solar radiation? Do you lose the benefit of the sun rays heating the contents of the room during the day?
razor02097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-13, 07:34 PM   #15
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
Thanks for this thread, I may have to try this. on the south side windows. One thing though... Do the bubbles block the solar radiation? Do you lose the benefit of the sun rays heating the contents of the room during the day?
I haven't measured it, but I'm sure that you'll loose some solar energy during the day.

-AC
Old 12-12-13, 04:36 PM   #16
warmwxrules
Helper EcoRenovator

I usually put plastic up on my windows, but this year 5 (of the 7) windows i cover I put storm windows on the outside (Menards) and so far, i'm getting no condensation on any of those windows (not sure that means i'm not still losing heat through them)...the remaining windows, i'm still getting a ton of condensation (where on cold days i have to wipe the windows down with paper towel). I haven't tried bubble wrap, but i have built simple wood frames and covered those with cheap 6 mil plastic and put those over the windows to eliminate condensation....but those were a little goofy looking, so i spent the money on the storms.
warmwxrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13, 07:22 PM   #17
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Any tips on where to likely find the bubble wrap ?
Tips on what businesses may have in in their dumpsters or where to find it would be appreciated, I have a few unused windows that could benefit.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13, 08:46 PM   #18
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Any tips on where to likely find the bubble wrap ?
Tips on what businesses may have in in their dumpsters or where to find it would be appreciated, I have a few unused windows that could benefit.
I got mine at one of the big-box home remodel places, Lowes.

They were selling it a a packaging material. Not free, but pretty cheap, if you have any income at all (not a reliable assumption, these days).

-AC
Old 12-13-13, 08:55 AM   #19
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I guess i could afford it not really a big ticket item haha but i am frugal.
(nice word for cheap)
If i had to i would buy it.
It seems so right to use materials that otherwise would get thrown away.
I will see what i can scrounge, I thought about using cheap blue laminate flooring insulation i can get from a recycler for a few bucks for a 4x100 ft .
I could tape it together with tuct tape make multi layers and staple it over the frame of the two large back windows, as I never open them up or draw the curtains with.

Its ridiculous really to have such a big 5ft x 6ft window in the bedrooms...
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 09:20 AM   #20
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
I guess i could afford it not really a big ticket item haha but i am frugal.
(nice word for cheap)
If i had to i would buy it.
No need to explain. As a species, we are marching to oblivion and leaving mountains of trash in our wake.

Even smart corporations find clever ways to turn their wasted material into profits.

Quote:
It seems so right to use materials that otherwise would get thrown away. I will see what i can scrounge, I thought about using cheap blue laminate flooring insulation i can get from a recycler for a few bucks for a 4x100 ft . I could tape it together with tuct tape make multi layers and staple it over the frame of the two large back windows, as I never open them up or draw the curtains with.
I'm not familiar with this material, but use it if you think it will work.

Dry corrugated cardboard makes a wonderful insulation. If you can put it together in layers that don't leak air, you'd really have something.

Quote:
Its ridiculous really to have such a big 5ft x 6ft window in the bedrooms...
You really got that one right... you have a 30 square foot thermal hole in the wall, since a single layer of glass is R-1. And you spend your nights there, so view is of no value to you... horrible design.

Block it up, fill it up,

-AC